Broken chair at hotel pool

Dja4452

Jurisdiction
Nevada
Hello, I recently was at a Las Vegas resort hotel where I was cut by a broken chair at the hotel pool. I simply went to lay back in it and the supports on the back ends were broken resulting in me falling backwards and cutting my back and arm on the jagged metal. I informed the lifeguard on duty and asked for bandages. She came back and said that she didn't have bandages and gave me a moist towellet. After I wiped off my cut it still was bleeding and decided to head to hotel security. I took pictures of my injury and the chair itself. I also filled out an incidence report and also went to get a tetanus shot which I paid for. The security officer who tended to my wounds told me to go get the shot and that cut looked bad. She came along with me to talk to a supervisor at the pool and take the chair into evidence. I did not seek medical attention other than having security bandage the wounds. What kind of compensation if any should I expect. I was not treated very well throughout this ordeal. Thank you for any input.

From the sounds of it, you would be entitled to paid medical bills. Maybe a few hundred bucks for your "inconvenience" or a comped night at the hotel. No serious injury resulted (thankfully) and there isn't a tort or legal remedy for "not nice enough".

On the other hand, you might not be entitled to anything if nobody knew the condition of the chair and there was no negligence involved.

Any money you do get would be voluntary and not obligatory unless a court of law says so and says how much.

If the hotel has a standard liability policy, the OP should be a first party insured under the no-fault med pay coverage.

I agree with above... The cost of the tetanus is all you are really out. Being that it is a Vegas hotel I would expect them to offer a little more for the inconvenience of it all.
You are probably best of to write a polite letter to the hotel describing the incident and ask them how they will compensate you. Let them give an offer rather than you make demands.
If you try to go straight to court the cost of it all and the lengthy delays will make it not worth the effort.

Back