Breaks, and the lack there of.

Millerson

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I work seven and a half hour days. My question is: if I get my break 2 hours into my shift is it against regulations for them to then work me 5 hours without another break? And if so how would I need to go about getting said regulations enforced.

The Colorado law says you are entitled to ten minutes for every four hours or major fraction thereof. This means that for a 7 1/2 hour shift you should have two ten minute breaks.

The law also says that WHEN PRACTICAL the break should be around the middle of the shift. There are no other recommendations about timing.

My employer is under the impression that the "when practical" is for whether or not to give the break and not for when to give the break. Is he correct?

No. The When Practical refers to the timing of the breaks. You still have to have the breaks, even if it can't be during the middle of the shift.

That was my impression. What can I do about this? Should I contact law enforcement? Should I try and find a pro-bono lawyer for a class action lawsuit? If my calculations are correct 100 days of work with no 10 min breaks is 2000 minutes of time robbed from someone. Not to mention everyone is exhausted by the end of their shifts. I do know there are health risks involved with not being able to rest as I am also feeling some of them. I just want this abusive injustice to end.

That was my impression. What can I do about this? Should I contact law enforcement? Should I try and find a pro-bono lawyer for a class action lawsuit? If my calculations are correct 100 days of work with no 10 min breaks is 2000 minutes of time robbed from someone. Not to mention everyone is exhausted by the end of their shifts. I do know there are health risks involved with not being able to rest as I am also feeling some of them. I just want this abusive injustice to end.

Yes, you can beef it to your state labor board.

If you do, you're liable to get a pink slip, as in layoff notice.

You might just invest your time into finding an employer who values your services and treats you with the dignity deserved of all human beings.

Oh my..... that long of working will kill you. You shouldn't be driven so hard for 100 days. Not counting the week ends... You must be exhausted. Have you seen your doctor?? Join the military. Work on a farm. They will both work you like a dog for years. You start forcing this type of issue you may find yourself seeking employment someone else. Just ask them to move the breaks around a little. So your not so exhausted.

Back