Breaking lease under nuisance

Status
Not open for further replies.

suesong

Hello,

I first made an agreement with a former landlord family about one year ago, however, the former landlor moved out and told us the new landlord family is a quite family made up of 2 highschool children with a signle mom. Since I was 17 at that time, my mom extended our lease over the phone without a chance to actually see the new landlord family.

After the new landlord family moved in, it turned out the new landlord was not a single mom (had a husband) and had three children, 1,5,10-year-olds.

At first I thought all the noises those children generated (running, screaming, crying, etc) were because they are not used to the new environment, so I just didnt complain. However, the nosie they made became worse to the extent where my life cycle was disturbed. I am a student so I study at home (the advantage of living alone) but with those children running and crying, it was very hard, if not impossible, to study. My misery did not end there; I could not sleep and was often waken by these children in the middle of night. I started taking sleeping pills after consulted with my doctor. During my exam periods, I actually asked my landlord if she could tell children to run less (I couldnt complain about crying because I knew it was not something they could control but I thought running was controllable) at least during my exam period. She just said okay but the children ran more. I was VERY annoyed but couldnt do anything because my parents were not with me so there was nothing I could do.

I was sleep-deprived (I gained 20 pounds and trust me it was not freshman 15), stressed out, and started to develop suicidal thoughts so I stopped taking sleeping pills. I could not study because of the noise. In fact, I could not do anything. So my mom actually flew to Canada to deal with the situation. Because we all knew that this place was not habitable, we had to give her a written notice of moving out. Then she told us we had to pay her the remaining rent even if we move out (of course no deposit back).

Our leagal contract ends on July 15th but I was wondering if we could break our lease under nuisance law or any other law.

Thank you for reading my long post and please help us. We are getting out of options.

The gist:
despite multiple complaints, continued crying, running, and screaming. (I have several recordings of such incidents after 10 pm)
The landlord's defense
-children cannot behave like adults (which was why I asked her nicely to just tell children run less at least only during my exam period)
-it is not like they run, scream 24/7
-we have to pay her the remaining rent even if we don't live here
(I rather sleep in the park)

Please help us :(
Thank you

Last edited:
Yes, you could probably sue and get out of the lease.
The problem is, that by the time you get your freedom, it'll be late June!
Why not ask your landlord if you can BUY your way out of the lease?
If they agree, get it as an addendum to the lease.
Make sure, they do not take your security deposit (if that is important to you), as part of the deal.
If it is agreed upon, make sure BOTH of you sign the darn thing.
Otherwise, 15 July is only 12 or 13 weeks away!

Thank you for replying so fast.
I was wondering if it is 100% completely necessary to pay my landlord any more money.
We are already paying her a ridiculous amount of money to live in such environment.
I also do not appreciate my landlord's attitute where she makes it seem like we are the bad people. (she has never said sorry). Thank you again.

Thank you for replying so fast.
I was wondering if it is 100% completely necessary to pay my landlord any more money.
We are already paying her a ridiculous amount of money to live in such environment.
I also do not appreciate my landlord's attitute where she makes it seem like we are the bad people. (she has never said sorry). Thank you again.

If you fail to pay, you'll be evicted.
You could be sued for the rent you failed to pay.
That will hurt you, if you ever try and rent anywhere else.

I'd try negotiating with her.
Apology? You'll never get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back