Breaking a Lease Breaking lease due to illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melsampson

Is it possible to get out of a lease due to illness? My disabiity payments no longer cover rent, utilities and food. Have used all of my savings in order to maintain housing. Currently no heat (non payment) and unable to purchase meds and enough food. I have 4000+ paid in security can't afford to lose that as well. Age wise I am now old enough to live in senior housing. Ive lived here a few years, but just cannot do it any longer.

Is it possible to get out of a lease due to illness? My disabiity payments no longer cover rent, utilities and food. Have used all of my savings in order to maintain housing. Currently no heat (non payment) and unable to purchase meds and enough food. I have 4000+ paid in security can't afford to lose that as well. Age wise I am now old enough to live in senior housing. Ive lived here a few years, but just cannot do it any longer.

The law makes no provision for an illness as a reason to break your lease.
But, discuss your medical issues with your landlord.
Read your lease before you do, as this might be covered in your lease.
If not, see if the landlord will take $1,000, or $2,000 to let you break your lease.
Breaking leases have costs, and people aren't generally allowed to break leases for free.

Otherwise, disability payments SSI or SSDI are usually not able to be attached for rent payments.
Whatever you do, avoid being evicted, or sued for eviction for nonpayment of rent.
If that happens, you may neber ever be able to rent a decent apartment or home.

Start talking, see what deal you can make for yourself.

Agree to talk to your landlord and hopefully they will work with you. Presumably they would rather have a tenant that can pay. They may even have a waiting list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back