Breaking Lease 3 Days After Move In

Status
Not open for further replies.

brskac

Recently signed a lease for an apartment in VA. Wife is not on the lease currently. Wife is in NC while our house is on the market. I visited the management office two days prior to moving in to get paperwork squared away but still wasn't allowed to see apartment. Previously we gave $250 as a deposit to reserve the apartment. No security deposit was needed. It was waived due to being military. The reservation fee goes to cleaning the apartment for our move-out at the end of the lease term.

Needless to say on 1 Aug I signed a lease without seeing the apartment. I didn't have access to the apartment until the lease was signed. I notated EVERYTHING on the move in inspection form and turned it in the day I moved in. We kept a copy for ourselves. During the inspection I noted spongy drywall and water damage around several windows and a patio door. Active mold growing around patio door frame and water damage on carpet. The carpets had not been cleaned. They were installing new vinyl in kitchen and bathroom for 2 days after move in date. The stove had not been put back from the installation of vinyl, nor the washer/dryer were not hooked up, finger prints on the walls, and the previous tenants personal belongings were left in the small yard area. This apartment was nothing like the apartment the manager showed us as far as cleanliness and maintenance. No care was taken before move in. My biggest concern is the mold. If I can visually see water damage and mold on drywall and framing at move in, then what's really behind the walls? Wife has asthma and began wheezing upon visiting. My wife is moving down next month with our kids. Do we have recourse to get out of the lease? It's been 3 days since signing and move in (although I have yet to move my furniture in due to the cirumstance) . Thanks in advance.

Personally I would kiss the $250 goodbye and start searching for another place. Give the landlord written notice of your intent to leave at the end of the current period already paid for.
They duped you on the apartment and turned your "reservation deposit" into your waived security deposit.
It has started out bad/shady and will likely only get worse.
Perhaps there is some legal assistance available to you through the military in case things get ugly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back