Breaking a Lease for Theft

L

lynsyloo

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hi,

My brother and sister in law recently moved into a complex about 10 minutes from mine. They were broken into about 3 days ago. Their tv, game systems, an iphone 6, and car were all stolen. This happened some time between 2AM and 7AM, and it did not wake them. The thieves came in the back door, somehow managing to lower the metal bar that provides extra security. They left the door open when they took off. My sister in law is scared. She is 4 months pregnant, and tracked her iphone to the next complex over. The police are investigating.

They want out of the lease, but the complex will not allow them out. They changed the locks to their front door and offered them a dowel rod to jam into the sliding glass door.

The complex says that they need 60 days notice (so those two months of rent) and then 2 extra months of rent to move out.

Is there a way to get them out of their lease?

It depends what the lease actually says, but typically, this would not be a reason to break a lease. I understand her fear, but it does not trump a contract.

The complex did not cause the theft so there is no reason for them to let them out of lease. They can however try to find new tenants to replace them and if landlord approves they (new tenants) could assume their lease

Renters insurance will help if the burglars return, which they often do.
An alarm system is fairly cheap, plus it will often scare the thieves away, while alerting the police and occupants.

Back