Breaking a lease after a Flood

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddT

I have a freind that was flooded out a couple of weeks ago. He had 18 inche's of flood water in his house that he rents. and lost everything pretty much. And can't live there. The rental managment company says he has a lease and they will not break it. says they will put new carpet and thats it. There was 18"s of water in that house. I grew up in Louisiana with hurricanes and know that with that much water the sheetrock and insulation needs to be taken out 4 ft up. if you don't you will have mold inside the walls. How can he get out of the lease? And do they have the right to hold him to it? Thanks

If the Landlord resolves any current issue no he has no grounds to break lease. If the 'assumed" issue comes up later the tenant can address it with landlord then

Even if he cannot live there? They haven't done anything to fix it. He has a family that needs a roof over their head

The red cross paid for the first week in the Hotel, the red cross gave him vouchers to get somewhere else to live, but they will not let him out of the lease to get something else. and they manage most of the rentals in this area. this is a military town, we are by Ft. Hood. and the managment companys hold most of the rentals. and the vouchers expired today.

The house being uninhabitable is not grounds?? And he has found out since the flood it was flooded right before he moved there. It was advertised as newly remodeled. But they did not say because of a flood.

The landlord is working on resolving the flood damage and tenant was given a place to stay. The Landlord did not cause flood nor was he required to say why dwelling was remodeled

First off, your friend should have renters insurance to cover his personal losses, and if not, I bet your friend will before this can happen again. Have you friend ask the landlord to substitute another rental until the problem is resolved, and hopefully the landlord agrees, so the problem will be solved. Legal or not, if your friend does not have the rental back in livable condition by the next time rent is due, I would not pay a dime. keep in mind, that this could bring consequences. Your friend also should check into emergency assistance from the local social services agency.

First off renters insurance, This is not about insurance, He HAS that! THAT does not help with the roof over your head! They WILL NOT GIVE THEM ANOTHER HOUSE! A lot of people were flooded there is a lot of people needing them. all they are going to do is replace carpet, I would not move back in to start with. If you know anything about floods that is not what you do.

Calm down, I was just suggesting that I hope he has renters insurance so his losses are at least covered so that when he does have a home again, he doesn't have an empty home. Perhaps he should seek a free consultation from a local attorney and they will advise him on how to proceed with getting the landlord to make the repairs to make the home livable again or if the landlord does not fix it, to LEGALLY get out of the lease.

I know all the code enforcment officers within a 50 mile radius of here and did not think of talking with them. I work with them weekly with my company. And they are willing to do everything in their power to get this right.Thanks for bringing that up. We are just trying to get advice before having to talk to a lawyer. But with this management company a Lawyer is what it will take to get them to even talk with you. Sorry and THANKS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back