Break my lease b/c im pregnant

HazelPregoLady

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I rented my apartment in cook county starting July 15, 2017. I renewed my lease on August 1, 2018.

About a month after I moved into the apartment, in 2017, I noticed their were roaches. They were only 3/4 roaches every 2 weeks or so. I advised the landlord and he had an extermination company spray chemicals. I was advised I would see roaches for about 2 weeks to a month after spraying. About a month and a half later the roaches reappeared.

This same series of events has repeated itself every month and a half to 2 months.

I am now pregnant and I would like to break my lease legally because for over a year and a half I have been dealing with this issue, and now I am pregnant. The environment is not safe to live in while pregnant or after having my baby. I shouldn't have to smell the fumes from the extermination company, and I should not have to smell the bottle of chemical spray (raid) the landlord provided while I am pregnant.

First, if I am able to, I would like to ask him if I can break my lease early and give him 2 months to find a new tenant.

If that is not an option I would like to see what options I have or what I can file to break the lease in court.

(additional notes) I have all of the text messages since I moved in continuously asking him to call an exterminator every month/month and a half.

please advise what options I have?

You live in an Apartment in order to remove roaches entire building needs to be dealt with not just your unit. Rather than break lease you can ask Landlord to let you out of lease

He does deal with the whole building but still it persists. I think you're right, 1st I will try to speak with him, and then if that doesn't work ill contact a lawyer. Thank you for commenting.

First, if I am able to, I would like to ask him if I can break my lease early and give him 2 months to find a new tenant.

That might work.
Ask about it, see what response you receive.

If that is not an option I would like to see what options I have or what I can file to break the lease in court.

Possibly, but highly unlikely, even if you hire a lawyer.

what options I have?

You start by reading your lease.

You look for what the lease says about EARLY TERMINATION.

In many cases, the landlord will allow a tenant to break a lease if the tenant pays money.

How much?

Ask your landlord, see if you can BUY your way out of the lease.

Be very nice, look pathetic, show immense concern, and exhibit great respect to the landlord, some people even beg!

That approach sometimes works.

No matter what, expect to pay extra money to be allowed to break your lease.

If the lease speaks to EARLY TERMINATION, it'll disclose how much, and under what conditions.

You're free to ask the landlord to let you out of your lease, but what you described would not allow you to break it unilaterally without consequence.

I think you should prioritize finding a new tenant to replace you. I'm unaware of a standard lease clause which allows a tenant to vacate because an exterminator was called to handle some cockroaches - but not an infestation. With regard to fumes, unless the apartment becomes uninhabitable your legal remedies are probably very limited. I think you are even more challenged on legal grounds if your testimony is that you knew about the issue before signing the new lease!

So from my perspective, going the route that you're pregnant and must break the lease by law is likely not a good approach. Approaching the landlord with a viable alternative seems to be optimal. Much of the time relationships can dictate what people will do.

Back