Breach/violation of contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady3016

According to contract, employees would be notified by a certain date if the contract would not be renewed, otherwise re-employment is considered automatic. Approximately a month and a half after that date passed, employees were notified thatcontracts were terminated (without cause). Employees were notified that they would be paid what is owed on current contract, but contracts would not be renewed. Is the company obligated to pay the employees as if the contracts were renewed because the notification was late?

When you showed these contracts to an attorney in your state who is able to read every word of them, and then asked that attorney this question, what did he say?

I have not had a consultation yet, I was wondering if I have a case and should go through the motions in state of Illinois

I have not had a consultation yet, I was wondering if I have a case and should go through the motions in state of Illinois
What cbg is telling you is that nobody can tell you whether or not you even have a case without reading the contract. If there was a large layoff, it is more than likely that the company had an attorney that reviewed the contract and believed that your interpretation of the employment agreement was not fully accurate. Perhaps there is another provision that says "if we lay off more than X% of the staff..."

Note that you may get a severance that is greater than the norm depending upon the circumstances. cbg can talk more on this subject but the Federal WARN Act might apply.

Regardless, nobody can tell you for sure what your legal rights are without reviewing "every word." As cbg said, going to an attorney is the motion you'll want to do first. Good luck.

With regards to WARN, how large is the company? How many people are being let go? How many of them have this contract? How much time between the notice and the last day of employment according to contract? For what reason is the company letting employees go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back