Breach of contract for used car purchase

nickster

Jurisdiction
New York
I purchased a car from a friend about three weeks ago. We agreed on a purchase price of $4,500 for the car and I would pay $1,000 deposit for him to hold it, which I have a receipt and signed by the seller. He was going to give me signed title in exchange for the balance end of March, which I would have by then. Now the seller wants to back out of the deal for the car. I am guessing he has another buyer. He wants to give me back the money. I don't have a purchase contract.

I don't have a purchase contract.

You don't appear to have a question either.

It may suffice to point out that section 2-201(a) of the Uniform Commercial Code, as codified in New York, states as follows: "Except as otherwise provided in this section a contract for the sale of goods for the price of $500 or more is not enforceable by way of action or defense unless there is some writing sufficient to indicate that a contract for sale has been made between the parties and signed by the party against whom enforcement is sought or by his authorized agent or broker."

It's also worth pointing out that the "end of March" was a week ago. Did you tender the balance of the purchase price on or before 3/31/18?

Back