Breach of Contract and Tampering with warranty (odometer)

ARTUROEJ8

Jurisdiction
California
Thank you for your advise .

I recently bought a used car from a Dealership in San Diego 2 hours away with 3000 miles or 3 months warranty and after the third day the transmission started jerking and slipping. I then called the dealership and explain the problems he then said to take it to Honda for a diagnostic. So I took the car to Honda and they told me that the transmission was bad. The dealer than compensated me with the diagnostic fee. When I took them the car to get fixed from their own mechanic the car had 500 Miles more for the warranty and they told me to come back and about two to three days but that they would call me first so then after they called me three days later that they replace the transmission but before they replaced it they had called me and told me that the transmission was good but that they replace it anyways. So I drove out there 2 hours away have to miss two days of work to find out after inspecting the vehicle that they never change the transmission. It has the same stain under the transmission casing and the oil level was the same burnt transmission fluid but before I had inspected the vehicle he arrived and gave me the keys and instantly took off and he also intentionally tempered with the car's odometer so that when I would to drive a block away the mileage would be on my last mile of warranty. So I called them instantly before driving off to State the issues they had and the pinpoints of him not replacing the transmission and tampering with the odometer . He swear to me that the transmission was replaced but that they did not replace the transmission casing but the transmission casing that it has was leaking so I don't understand why they didn't replace it and all the bolts looked untouched. After stating the pinpoints of him trying to take off with a car that was never fixed he then gave me 2 more months of warranty or 2000 miles whichever kicks first. So now I'm frustrated since they lie to me wasted my time my days of work and gas. Although the transmission is the major issue the car also needed $200 sensors replaced and car was also burning a small bit of oil, I told him but he ignored and wouldn't touch the subject of replacing any of it.

It's any of this new warranty agreement in writing? If not, you don't have a new warranty.

It sounds like you are getting scammed big time.
The transmission would not be replaced with the same casing. Your instinct here is correct. The work was not done and it would be obvious if it had. Do you have a receipt or work order showing what work is alleged to have been done?
Go to a mechanic you trust. Show the work order and ask if it appears any maintenance had been done. Have the mechanic document findings.
Does the work order show the mileage at the time you dropped off the car? Document the mileage when the car was returned.

You will want to gather all this information and visit a local attorney for guidance. I suggest you do not drive the car at all in the mean time.

Yes everything is stated on a dealer warranty document and i didn't not receive any paper stating he did the work on it. And mileage was not recorded when dropping off but I did take a video of the odometer when picked up and also the date on my wife's phone. I also want to ask if a $5000 car is worth seeing for .

Yes everything is stated on a dealer warranty document and i didn't not receive any paper stating he did the work on it. And mileage was not recorded when dropping off but I did take a video of the odometer when picked up and also the date on my wife's phone. I also want to ask if a $5000 car is worth seeing for .

I don't see how you can receive any compensation when you're dealing with a crook other than to take the matter to court.

You received no documentation that the car was ever in for service?
There is no documentation of the mileage? Are you at least within 3 months of purchase?

Whether it is worth suing is a good question for an attorney who can review the full details and assess your situation. There could be a number of things in play here.

You can make a complaint with the BAR. You can also make a claim against the dealer's bond. Contact the DMV to find out who issued the bond.

Back