Boundary line

Amy G

Jurisdiction
Florida
We would like to install a fence on our property line but our neighbor's sprinkler system line is on our property according to our survey. Our neighbors acknowledge that that is what it looks like. Our surveyor said there that sprinkler system lines don't really count as encroachments when we asked about verifying the survey. Not sure what next step needs to be. Can you help?

You certainly have the right to install a fence on your own property, as long as it's not in violation of local rules and regulations. What does you neighbor have to say about relocating their water line?

You certainly have the right to install a fence on your own property, as long as it's not in violation of local rules and regulations. What does you neighbor have to say about relocating their water line?

Haven't actually asked yet because I have not had the survey line verified yet. Just gathering as much info as I can thanks.

Does your plan to install the fence interfere with the function of the sprinklers? If not then it probably isn't worth making a fuss over.
Otherwise, moving a few sprinkler heads back a few feet is not a big deal. It can be done in less than an hour. Discuss it with the neighbor and see what you can work out. If you can agree then there really is no legal issue to resolve.

Haven't actually asked yet because I have not had the survey line verified yet.

About a foot and a half to 2 feet.

Then you've got nothing to say until you verify the position of the property line, find your stakes, tie a string from one stake to the other, THEN talk to your neighbor about moving his sprinkler heads.

Our surveyor said there that sprinkler system lines don't really count as encroachments when we asked about verifying the survey.

Not sure what that means.

Not sure what next step needs to be. Can you help?

Sure. Post the neighbor's name and phone number and one of us will make a call.

Seriously...what "help" are you seeking? What is the end result you want to achieve? Regardless of how you answer that question, the first step is to speak with your neighbor.

Back