Bounced payroll check cashed at Stop and Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogokrz1974

I shop at stop and shop and recently noticed they cash payroll checks for members for $1.00. This was convenient for me because i got 2 of my checks after banking hours. I cashed a check FROM MY EMPLOYER and it bounced. Stop and shop is coming after me for the money. I stated that I didn't write the check and they need to go after the company. They are refusing to contact the original person that issued the check. They have sent me a letter for me to repay and I don't even have the original check in my possession. IS THIS A STANDARD PROCEDURE FOR A COMPANY WILLING TO CASH A PAYROLL CHECK AND CHARGE A FEE? i WOULD FEEL THAT THIS IS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY TO HAVE A INSURANCE THAT PROECTS THEM FROM THESE SITUATIONS. I have contacted the AG's office and filed a claim, but I need to know if I'm responsible. HELP...........

No need to shout.

Bottom line, you negotiated the check, yes, they can come after you.

YOU can go after the issuer of the check (your employer). What does your employer say about this situation?

I shop at stop and shop and recently noticed they cash payroll checks for members for $1.00. This was convenient for me because i got 2 of my checks after banking hours. I cashed a check FROM MY EMPLOYER and it bounced. Stop and shop is coming after me for the money. I stated that I didn't write the check and they need to go after the company. They are refusing to contact the original person that issued the check. They have sent me a letter for me to repay and I don't even have the original check in my possession. IS THIS A STANDARD PROCEDURE FOR A COMPANY WILLING TO CASH A PAYROLL CHECK AND CHARGE A FEE? i WOULD FEEL THAT THIS IS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY TO HAVE A INSURANCE THAT PROECTS THEM FROM THESE SITUATIONS. I have contacted the AG's office and filed a claim, but I need to know if I'm responsible. HELP...........

As an innocent third parth, the Stop and Shop can come after either of you for the money. My suggestion to you is to find out what happened with your check, have your employer pay the Stop and Shop for the bounced check.

The Stop and Shop is well within their rights to hold you responsible. Do whatever you have to do to make them whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back