Bounced paychecks

Status
Not open for further replies.

calamity56

My husband has been working for a privately owned small business for a month and a half now. He is a mechanic. 2 out of his 3 paychecks have bounce. The 1st one (which was his 1st check from there) bounce and the owner gave him cash and paid for any fees we had that occured. The last paycheck bounce as well last week and so far we have not been able to get any compensation for it and now our bank has charged us $120 for it. What does florida law say about this? What would be my next course of action? Also, what are the laws on "wait time"? My husband works on only commission and is at the shop 45 hours a week, 6 days a week and makes an average of $3.33/hr. He is making $300 every two weeks. Thank you

My husband has been working for a privately owned small business for a month and a half now. He is a mechanic. 2 out of his 3 paychecks have bounce. The 1st one (which was his 1st check from there) bounce and the owner gave him cash and paid for any fees we had that occured. The last paycheck bounce as well last week and so far we have not been able to get any compensation for it and now our bank has charged us $120 for it. What does florida law say about this? What would be my next course of action? Also, what are the laws on "wait time"? My husband works on only commission and is at the shop 45 hours a week, 6 days a week and makes an average of $3.33/hr. He is making $300 every two weeks. Thank you

Well, that's always a bummer, especially a paycheck that goes NSF.

Your attorney general has this to say about bounced checks in general:

http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/main/cc3baba4cfbc180685256cc9006a0911!opendocument

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...tute&URL=0800-0899/0832/Sections/0832.05.html

But, paychecks are special.

So, in Florida this is also an option:

Hubby may have a right to go after his employer for TREBLE damages, plus the amount of the check, attorney's fees and costs.
Notice the attorney's fees portion, so if he can HIRE an attorney willing to take his case and get paid by suing the employer, that's the easiest way to proceed.

This is of course dependent on all of the facts that h can prove.
If what you say is accurate, proving it will be easy.
Florida law generally provides significant protection to people who have become victims of people who have passed "bad" checks.
Many Florida attorneys specialize in getting their client and themselves paid, so I suggest he find one.

Good luck, I hope he gets paid.
But, when this starts to happen, its time to seek NEW employment.

I suspect his current payment situation is suspect, if not illegal.
However, he should get paid and get gone.
Why hang around, work, and not get paid?
It won't get better, so he should get out while he can.
See a lawyer, initiate an action, it won't happen overnight, so use the next couple of weeks to seek new employment.

Last edited:
I'm guessing her husband works under the table at a shady shop. It's going to be hard to collect anything from this place. Time to look for a new job. He would double his take home pay working at McDonald's for heavens sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back