Bounced Checks from employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtc1234

I hope someone can answer this question for me. My employer has bounced 4 checks to me over that past eight months. They currently owe me over $17,000 and I am worried that I may never see that money. What recourse do I have? What laws has my company violated when they knowingly mailed bad checks across state lines? Thank you.

They haven't paid you 17K and you are still working for them? This is a tough one. To play it safe you may want to first file suit and serve the bank with an information subpoena and restraining order for the amount due plus interest and damages. You know the bank that they have. You'll find out if there are insufficient funds as well. (Note you may have to file the case in the state of the employer.)

You may wish to report this to the state attorney general. You may also be able to sue the company and the principal for fraud (it seems that someone may know about this and has induced you to work for checks that were written knowing that there was no money in the account.)

Originally posted by wtc1234
I hope someone can answer this question for me. My employer has bounced 4 checks to me over that past eight months. They currently owe me over $17,000 and I am worried that I may never see that money. What recourse do I have? What laws has my company violated when they knowingly mailed bad checks across state lines? Thank you.

"You may wish to report this to the state attorney general. "

Depending on your state, it may be the state attorney general or it may be the state Department of Labor that is your first step. In my state the AG functions as the DOL but not all states handle it the same. But you should certainly report your employer to one or the other, if not both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back