Bought Vehicle for Cash and Now Private Seller Is Demanding It Back

MajorlyConfused

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I purchased a vehicle and paid cash. The private seller did not do a bill of sale (they refused), however, I have texts from them stating they sold it to me. The seller was a friend (so I thought) that I'd know for years and not a stranger. I also have photos of the signed title from them. They messed the title up when they gave it to me and refused to fix it. They wrote it was $1 for purchase price but I paid $800. I asked them on numerous occasions to fix it but they refused. I gave them $10 to get a new title. They got the new title by lying to the DMV and stating that they never sold the vehicle as they had previously reported. They are now demanding I give them the vehicle back and they keep the money. What can I do?

What can I do?

carscam.jpg

CORRECTION

The "seller", err, scammer actually got $810 in cash, as the "mark", err, buyer added a $10.00 lagniappe to properly correct an erroneous title.

Alas, not only was the car not SOLD, the title was NOT CORRECTED.

Never hand over the payment until ALL of the paperwork has been completed.

Sadly the scammer has ALL of your cash, and you have NOTHING to prove he sold you the car.

To increase your pain, the scammer poured 100 proof vodka into your open wounds.

The text messages don't prove anything, except you discussed a potential car sale.

The scammer has the loot, you have NOTHING to prove you paid him.

The moment the "seller" AKA SCAMMER refused to execute a bill of sale, you should have simply walked quietly away with ALL of your cash secreted about your person!

Sorry, mate, you violated two of the basic rules of used car sales:

1 - don't turn over the cash until you get a signed, dated receipt indicated PAID IN FULL

2 - the paperwork, all of the paperwork, required in your state to complete the transaction has been properly executed, which usually requires a trip to your state's motor vehicle agency

They did report the vehicle as sold to the DMV and I had it insured. Does that help in any way? Also I do have photos of the title that they gave to me with the date, false sale amount and signature on it. I still have the vehicle, key and original plates.

They did report the vehicle as sold to the DMV and I had it insured. Does that help in any way?

It might.

I suggest you be at doors of the nearest DMV office when it opens Tuesday morning.

Tell the tale to the state official, and see if the state can be of any help to you.

At least its a small ray of hope.

Why do you have photos of the title rather than the actual title? What happened to that document?
The seller would be foolish to try and take the car back without returning your money, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. Keep the vehicle in a secure location inside a fenced and gated yard or in a garage, otherwise it may disappear in the middle of the night.
The two of you should be able to resolve this on your own without it leading to lawsuits.

Why do you have photos of the title rather than the actual title? What happened to that document?

This explains the additional title fiasco, as well as the added ten bucks the scammer, err, seller snatched.

I also have photos of the signed title from them. They messed the title up when they gave it to me and refused to fix it. They wrote it was $1 for purchase price but I paid $800. I asked them on numerous occasions to fix it but they refused. I gave them $10 to get a new title.

I spoke to the DMV this morning and they said it is considered title fraud. They advised me to submit a form from their website and their investigators will review it. They said it was good I had photos of the original title and the text messages as well. I also have a text where the seller stated they reported the vehicle sold to the DMV. The DMV also said the seller needs to give me the money back if they will not give me the title.

The DMV also advised me to contact the local police to see what to do about the vehicle. I am moving 1200 miles away in a few days so I am unsure what I am supposed to do with the vehicle. I am currently waiting for the local police to call me back.

*The reason I only have photos is because this person (close friend - so I thought) got a replacement title. They took the title they gave me and went to the local DMV and stated the vehicle had been sitting all of this time and they never sold it.

I also have photos of the signed title from them.

Photos? Are you saying that you did not receive the signed title when you took possession of the vehicle and paid for it? Also, why are you referring to the seller as "they"/"them"? Are you uncertain of the seller's gender?

What can I do?

I'm sure you can do any number of things. Obviously, the seller demanding return of the vehicle without giving you back the money you paid is absurd. If you're willing to return the vehicle, then maybe suggest that the seller give you your money back when you return the vehicle to him/her. The problem, of course, is that, if the title is still in the seller's name, he/she could report it as stolen and create a big mess for you. Whether your text messages will be of any use is impossible for anyone here to know since we don't know what they say.

They did report the vehicle as sold to the DMV. . . . Does that help in any way?

Whether it helps in any way depends on what exactly you mean by "report the vehicle as sold." And how do you know the seller did this?

Methinks you're going to end up learning an expensive lesson with this one.

I am moving 1200 miles away in a few days so I am unsure what I am supposed to do with the vehicle.

Take it with you. No need to let the seller know where you went.

The reason I only have photos is because this person (close friend - so I thought) got a replacement title. They took the title they gave me and went to the local DMV and stated the vehicle had been sitting all of this time and they never sold it.

You should not have allowed that. If the title isn't handed over then the money should not be handed over. You should have walked away with the title, correct or not.

This is a mess. It won't get resolved quickly. If the DMV told you to report the matter to the police then one might wonder what would happen if you informed your friend what the DMV instructed you to do. And in the event our friend wants to deal with the police, then by all means he shouldn't fix the issue with the title. Otherwise, if he can provide you with what you bargained for, a possible police investigation can be avoided. Not wanting to give you proper title should have been the first cue.

Back