bought the car having lien on it in New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomhulaw

I recently tried to purchase a used car in New York and the title was given to me, but with a lien on it. I had found this out after paying the seller cash, but before I had registered the vehicle at the DMV.
questions are:
1. Is the lien can be passed on to me if I register the vehicle in New York?
2. Now I am wondering if the lien-holder can comes to repossess the vehicle any time?
3. If title is transfer to me, can I drive it around like normal until lien holder find the car and repossess the car ? will I face any other extenuating financial or legal repercussions if they find the car?
4. In case I want to pay the lien I am also stuck because the seller has been ignoring calls and the lien-holder is withholding all information regarding the value of the lien. What should I do?

You do have a problem, unfortunately. If it were me (not a legal opinion which I haven't reviewed all the facts), I'd probably inform the seller that I'm considering reporting him to the department of motor vehicles for fraud and suing him in court. I'd probably send a written letter, certified mail return receipt requested, demanding my money back within seven days. If I didn't receive the money, I'd go right to small claims court.

The problem is there is a lien on the property. You don't personally take on the lien, e.g. be required to pay off the excess of the lien above the value of the vehicle, but the vehicle can be seized and you may be out a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back