Bought a car and got ripped off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astanley92

I bought a car from a family friend for $3800. She had just got a bunch of work done on it, and said it was good to go. she said there was still some problems with the oil leaking but that was it. I drove it home and my husband drove it and said there is a knock in the engine. I told him that our friend never mentioned anything. we had contacted her about a couple other things and she said that it was all supposed to get better soon. A week after I bought the car it didnt run.. I contacted the shop where they got all the work done and the tech told me that there was a knock in the engine and that our friend knew about it. He told me the car wasnt worth anything, and was very surprised she sold it to me. I contacted her and told her what the tech said and she denied it and started yelling a nd cussing.. So I now have a car outside my house that I cant drive and my family is out $3800. I want her to know what she did was wrong and get my money back.

Generally when you buy a used car you buy it "as is." It is up to you to be sure it is free of defects before buying it. If the seller didn't sign any type of written "warranty" that what you are buying is "free of defects/problems" for a certain period of time, you generally have no recourse. It's "buyer beware."

You can try suing the seller in small claims court (Washington you can sue up to $5,000 SCC) - you might or might not win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back