Bogus Speeding Ticket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flany13

Alright guys i have a great ticket story that accompanies a few questions with it!

Alright so my friend and i were driving down the mass pike to visit my mother in the hospital after her surgery. I was driving my friends car and he was the passenger. Now i was visiting my mother out of the goodness of my own heart, we had to travel from Westfield MA all the way to Franklin Ma about an hour and a half drive. So we are about half way to our destination when we see a police officer drive onto the highway. We payed close attention to him and we made sure we did nothing wrong. Just like many other drivers out there police just intimidate the hell out of you and you feel like your doing something wrong even when your not. So he passed us in the passing lane and not realizing anything i pulled into the passing lane behind him. I drove about 7 car lengths behind him for about 6 miles going no more than 70 mph. The police officer then proceded to move into the center lane which at the time was bogged down and inevitably leaded to me passing the police officer at about 65 mph. He then pulled in behind me and pulled me over. This is what he said to me!

- How long you been driving?

I said about 4 years.

- He told me that when he goes on patrol he drives at "80 mph" in the passing lane to catch speeders. Then he said i was following him for about 6 miles, so supposedly i had to have been going "80 mph" as well. Then he gives me a ticket for 200 dollars and says that i was lucky he didnt cite me for being in the left lane too long.

First off i wanto say i have never heard that you can not stay in the left lane for an extended period of time. Honestly in my Drivers ed class i watched gone in 60 seconds and the fast and the furious. The teach new drivers nothing these days!

Second the officer had no way of knowing how fast i was driving based on how fast he was supposedly driving. If i was doing 70 and stayed 7 car lengths behind him he was not doing 80!

He should have only cited me for the left hand lane infraction which would have dropped my ticket to only 100 bucks! But even then i had no idea about that rule!

Finally i read the ticket and it states i was going 65 MPH in an 80 MPH zone! He wrote it backwards!

QUESTIONS!

1. Will the mistake on the ticket make it Null/void?

2. With my story and faulty ticket, how are my chances standing up in court?

3. Should i bring my passenger to the hearing as a witness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back