Consumer Law, Warranties Bogus charges and oral agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmcclure0762

In April 2007 a group of about 25 realtors, working as independent contractors, had an oral agreement with our broker concerning tv and billboard ads for a three month summer campaign. The broker agreed to pay approximately half if we would pay the other half. This amounted to about $125 per month for each agent for three months. After about five months of asking for an itemized statement of income and expenses, I finally got a statement of expenses in September, after I had left the brokerage. Charges were much higher than I had agreed to pay, and were charged for longer than the agreed to three month period. I recently got a statement for ad charges incurred during the month of October. I left the brokerage September 15. They are also charging me 18% APR late fees that I never agreed to. They also withheld money they owed me to cover these bogus charges.

I recently found out that my former broker never paid the tv station for the ads, even though his agents are paying him for them. And he backed out of paying his part of the ads. That's why the agents' part was higher than agreed upon.

I've written to them disputing the charges, with no response from them...only more bills and more late fees.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to settle this? Is it legal to charge late fees without discussing the terms ahead of time?

You can file for a declaratory judgment in small claims court. That is about the only way to get it settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back