Board and care question

peltecs

Jurisdiction
California
Hello, a friend of mine is disabled by depression and fear, and lives in a board and care. He and his wife rent the room in the board and care for $2k / month but his room is filled with stuff. The room is not dirty, it just messy filled with papers, furniture, and stuff. There are no bugs and it doesn't smell. Essentially, it's just a messy room. The room service cleans the tub/toilet/sink. Yesterday the owner of the board and care came to my friends room and demanded that he clean the room to the owner's standards. Logically, I would think that because he pays for the room I would think that he has the right to keep it in any shape he wants as long as it doesn't violate city health code standards or pose a public health threat. I don't know the law, but does he have to clean the room?

Another question that is related: Can the owner of the board and care keep anybody he wants from visiting my friend living in a room there just because he doesn't like them? Can the owner claim private property rights and keep anybody he wants off the property?

Last edited:
A lot of this is going to depend on the terms of your friend's lease, so he or you should read it to see if there's anything relevant.

I can understand that, but wouldn't some terms in a lease be invalid if I signed a lease to rent a room and one of the conditions was that my desk could never be messy, wouldn't that be absurd?

A lot of this is going to depend on the terms of your friend's lease, so he or you should read it to see if there's anything relevant.

I hope somebody can help answer my question on this board, but I plan on calling

Disability Rights California Toll Free C 1-800-776-5746

I'm sure somebody there can help me. I'll post what they tell me here.

if I signed a lease to rent a room and one of the conditions was that my desk could never be messy, wouldn't that be absurd?

It would be absurd but if you were foolish enough to sign a lease agreeing to that provision you would be bound by it.

Now, tell us what your friend's lease or rental agreement says about the condition of his room. Quote it word for word.

Back