blackballing from a previous employer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTpar25

This situation sounds very similar to mine. I have and am currently being blackballed by a previous employer and I would like to know what I can do concerning it. It has caused issues and problems for me both professionally and personally. I have not been able to work in my profession for about almost two years. They will not admit to this but from feedback from working on small jobs since that time I have come to the conclusion that this information is originating from them. The information that has gotten back to me is appalling and NOT true. It has damaged my reputation and caused me much financial distress. I have done everything I could possibly think of in defending myself and counteracting this behavior but it still continues.

This has been going on for the better half of almost two years from the date I got separated from a job in 2012. I talked to the Head of the HR department upon leaving this agency during that time and was informed that everything was fine and there was no negative information in my personnel file, but after going on interviews being asked out of the ordinary questions, sending out resumes with no response and experiencing weird behavior form co-workers and customers on the small jobs that I did get, it lead me to come to the conclusion that I was and am being blackballed. I contacted my former Manager at that time in hopes of getting some answers as to why this was going on but as suspected he denied any interference on his part. It is not even to the extent that at times that I put them on my resumes and job applications as a reference but somehow these potential jobs know of me before I am even given the opportunity to present myself. I feel that I am being forced out of my profession that I worked so hard to obtain, going to school etc. How do I stop this from continuing? How do I confront the company that is doing this because it is more personal than professional I am certain that this is happening?

How can you prove that your former employer is saying things that are not true to keep you for getting other employment? How is the information getting back to you? They can say anything that is true or is their honest opinion of what they believe to be true.

What do prospective employers tell you as to why you are not offered a job? Many people are having a hard time finding employment these days.

Despite what far, far too many people appear to believe, employers do not run background checks on applicants until after they have been interviewed AND classified as one of the top candidates. They do not check references before they are called for an interview.

You also seem to be under the impression that your past employer is calling all potential employers and saying, "Don't hire him, don't even interview him", and all these potential employers are blindly obeying. First, in 35+ years of HR and Benefits I have NEVER gotten such a phone call and second, if I ever DID get such a phone call, you would be the FIRST person I would call. I don't take kindly to third parties telling me who I should interview unless I ask them, and I know plenty of other employers who feel the same way. I cannot see every single solitary employer agreeing, on no basis but your former employer's say so, agreeing to ignore your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back