Purchase & Sale Billed for Services Not Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

mejoy

When getting our first year end taxes done our accountant had asked about our Share Holders. There is only 1 share holder which holds 100% of the shares (documents completed). The accountant thought that it wasn't finished and sent the information to get in contact with a Law Office that she always sends her clients to. I had sent an email to the Law Office stating why I was getting in contact and if they could send me an estimate with the cost to get this completed. They had replied asking what documents I had and they ended up stating we would need more materials then what our accountant had stated (still not receiving a estimate on cost). I had replied with I will get back to you. About month went by and they had reached out to me saying that the material requested had come in. In the mean time of that month we had ask a family member (in business for over 27 years - Owns) to take a look at our documents as I was sure this wasn't correct, and sure enough we didn't need anything that was said. The document to the share holders were already completed. I responded to them saying that we never agreed to ordering anything nor did we even receive an estimate which was first asked to make sure they were within our budget. They have now sent a bill to us for "Annual Retainer" how so and is this required to pay our how would I fight this?

When getting our first year end taxes done our accountant had asked about our Share Holders. There is only 1 share holder which holds 100% of the shares (documents completed). The accountant thought that it wasn't finished and sent the information to get in contact with a Law Office that she always sends her clients to. I had sent an email to the Law Office stating why I was getting in contact and if they could send me an estimate with the cost to get this completed. They had replied asking what documents I had and they ended up stating we would need more materials then what our accountant had stated (still not receiving a estimate on cost). I had replied with I will get back to you. About month went by and they had reached out to me saying that the material requested had come in. In the mean time of that month we had ask a family member (in business for over 27 years - Owns) to take a look at our documents as I was sure this wasn't correct, and sure enough we didn't need anything that was said. The document to the share holders were already completed. I responded to them saying that we never agreed to ordering anything nor did we even receive an estimate which was first asked to make sure they were within our budget. They have now sent a bill to us for "Annual Retainer" how so and is this required to pay our how would I fight this?

This is a US law based forum, because we know nothing about Canadian law.

We do share the English common law system, so some things are similar.

My answer is based on US law.

If you don't pay, the lawyer will likely sue you for his or her fees.

If you are sued, you defend with your tale of this saga, much as you did here.

Whatever you do, don't default by ignoring the lawsuit.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back