Bill Cosby conviction overturned, conviction vacated by PA Supremes...

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Two female attorneys wagered $500 with me two years ago when Cosby was convicted that his case wouldn't be vacated or overturned.

Thank you Berniece and Alice for forking over $1,000 this afternoon.

Trust me, ladies, my wife and I will put your $1,000 to good use this weekend as we continue our "two crazy old folks doing the USA post-pandemic tour" somewhere in one of the lucky 50 US states!

On another note, I was never a Cosby fan.

I found his attempts at acting lacking, his humor silly (NOT funny), and his lack of comedic timing made his efforts look more foolish.

At any rate, I wish him well with whatever time he may have left on this planet.

If you are someone close to Mr. Cosby, I suggest you encourage him to seek psychiatric help because if he is what was alleged, certain sad events may soon occur.

Bill Cosby released from prison after Pa. Supreme Court overturns sexual assault conviction

Bill Cosby RELEASED from prison after sex assault conviction overturned

Bill Cosby freed from prison sex conviction is overturned

What? I grew up on Fat Albert. I Spy is a great show, Bill Cosby is a clean comic legend.

The Cosby Show also was a good value orientated TV Show for the time. I always thought he got caught up in the moment and it was more about the MeTOO people claiming another victim. It is good that he was able to clear his name.

However, for most especially on this board he will always be GUILTY.

What? I grew up on Fat Albert. I Spy is a great show, Bill Cosby is a clean comic legend.

I, too, for the most part enjoyed a lot of Cosby's comedy.

It is good that he was able to clear his name.

Just to be clear, the decision of the PA Supreme Court did not "clear his name" in the sense of determining that he did not do what he was accused of doing. The PA Supreme Court held that the prosecutors violated Cosby's Fifth Amendment rights. The prosecutor entered into an agreement with Cosby not to prosecute him for the offense in part because the prosecutor thought there were problems with the testimony that the victim would provide. As a result of that agreement, Cosby was unable to invoke his Fifth Amendment rights in a later civil trial brought by the victim because he was not at risk of criminal prosecution. Cosby made some incriminating statements at that trial, admitting to giving the plaintiff some drugs and engaging in some sexual activity, though denying having intercourse with her. After that testimony, the prosecutor changed his mind and brought charges and used those statements from the civil trial against him. The Court held that the prosecutor was bound by the agreement it made and by going back on the agreement Cosby's rights were violated. Thus the Court vacated the conviction and because of the bar on double jeopardy Cosby cannot be retried. You can read the full opinion here: PA Supreme Court Cosby decision.

So, it's not like he was proven innocent or that the court determined the allegations were untrue. It's simply a decision that the prosecutor violated his rights.

However, for most especially on this board he will always be GUILTY.

I certainly consider him guilty of the conduct he admitted to in the civil trial — giving the victim date rape drugs and engaging in some sexual touching of the victim. I also think it likely that he did that sort of thing on other occasions. That kind of behavior is rightfully condemned. But I don't automatically presume him guilty of everything that he has been accused of doing. I also think that at least some of the demonizing of Cosby over this was racially motivated.

I certainly consider him guilty of the conduct he admitted to in the civil trial — giving the victim date rape drugs and engaging in some sexual touching of the victim. I also think that at least some of the demonizing of Cosby over this was racially motivated.

Of course you do since it is beyond a reasonable doubt and a not guilt verdict doesn't mean he didn't do it but it could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

Of course you see it as Racial because you see Race in everything, just like the Racist Left who claim everyone is racist because they wrote the book on it.

oculum pro oculo...

Of course you do since it is beyond a reasonable doubt and a not guilt verdict doesn't mean he didn't do it but it could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

So you don't believe Cosby's own admissions as to what he's done?

Of course you see it as Racial because you see Race in everything, just like the Racist Left who claim everyone is racist because they wrote the book on it.

There you go again making wrong assumptions about me. You don't really know me, so you're not in a position to claim to know what I see. I don't see race in everything. But I also don't deny that racism is still a problem in this country. Perhaps you just don't want to see it. But I won't presume to know your attitudes about race despite your assuming mine.

In Cosby's case, I can't help noticing that he was pursued more aggressively and demonized in the media more than some White men who have faced some similar allegations. So yes, in this instance I think that Cosby's race may well have played a part in the outcome.

You evidently think Cosby innocent. So don't you think that it is possible that race might have, either consciously or unconsciously, played a factor in the PA prosecutor's decision to go back on the agreement he made? And isn't possible that the rush to judgment against him in the media also was tinged a bit by race, too? I happen to think that's entirely possible.

In Cosby's case, I can't help noticing that he was pursued more aggressively and demonized in the media more than some White men who have faced some similar allegations. So yes, in this instance I think that Cosby's race may well have played a part in the outcome.

I think it was a matter of timing. The #metoo movement was getting fired up and he was a target. For the record, I don't know if he did it or not, but the prosecutors must play fair.

I think it was a matter of timing. The #metoo movement was getting fired up and he was a target.

That too was a factor.

For the record, I don't know if he did it or not, but the prosecutors must play fair.

I don't know for sure what Cosby actually did either, and I'm not going to jump to any conclusions one way or the other, except that I of course will believe that he did at least the things he actually admitted to doing. But regardless, I agree that the prosecutors must respect the rights of the defendant and when they act to undercut those rights the defendant ought not be punished for that. The prosecutor here undercut Cosby's Fifth Amendment rights and thus the outcome by the state Supreme Court was, I think, what had to be done to correct it.

Back