Best way to contest a Bus Only Lane Violation? Bay Bridge, San Fran California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kara001

I was recently in California on a road trip up the California Coast. Along the way, I spent a night in Berkeley, CA. My next stop after Berkeley was Napa. When I left Berkeley, I intended to take I-80 East towards Napa, but accidentally got on I-80 West. I didn't realize I was headed in the wrong direction until I saw the Bay Bridge approaching. I saw a sign that said "Last Exit before bridge", and took what I thought was that exit. Immediately, I realized I had taken the wrong exit and was in a Bus Only lane headed over the Bay Bridge. This was definitely the last thing I wanted. At this point, it was too late to turn around and merge back into traffic as I was too far up the ramp. There were no outs. I was going to pull over to the road to try to figure out what to do when I saw flashing lights behind me.

The officer was not interested in hearing my story or how I ended up there, and ended up giving me a notice to appear in court. The violation is driving in a Bus Only lane. The cost for this violation is $270 if I am found guilty. He said I can do a Trial by written declaration since I am not from the area and cannot appear in court.

My question is - what is the best way to approach my defense? $270 seems really steep for getting off the wrong exit. I am from New York City, and this was my first time driving in the San Fran area. I am not familiar with the roads. I have receipts that day from being in Napa...not sure that would help at all. Also, I do believe the sign is confusing there - it is right near the bus lane exit and says "Last Exit before bridge".

Any advice on how to successfully defend the violation would be much appreciated. :)

Check with the court for the proper procedure for the written declaration.

In it you will want to include your explanation just as you have here, but keep it brief and to the point.

Make it clear that you were unfamiliar with the area, exited at the wrong location, were unable to turn around, and that you are willing to pay the bridge toll.

When it gets down to it, you did drive in the wrong lae and may be ordered to pay the fine, but you might be able to persuade the judge to minimize the damages due to your simple mistake.

Just don't go on at length about it... keep it brief and sincere.

You probably can't defend your mistake.

The bus lane isn't open to any use but by buses.

Mistakenly entering the bus lane, doesn't excuse your misstep.

A lawyer might be able to get it bargained down for you.

Or, see if the citation is eligible for online traffic school.

Being from NY, it might not be allowed.

You can ask the court clerk by telephone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back