Best college majors for HR Law?

D

davidp5118

Hello,

I am looking at becoming an HR lawyer. I have researched it for many years and am confident that it is something I would love to do. however, I am not quite sure what to major in during college!

Most places say Political Science is a great go-to for law school, however most jobs looking for an HR lawyer prefers a BS in something HR related, such as Public Administration.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
David

Most places say Political Science is a great go-to for law school,

"Most places" - hmmph. Political Science is a joke unless you want to be a politician and, even then, look at all the lawyers who are politicians. You can bet they didn't study Poli Sci more than one semester in college.

Look for a college that has a "pre-law" curriculum. There will be a variety of directions that you'll be able to look at.

Understand that, if you want to go to law school, what you learn in college doesn't prepare you for the job market, it prepares you for law school.

Read what NYU says about the pre-law curriculum:

The Prelaw Curriculum | Prelaw | New York University

Then google pre-law curriculum and other colleges will come up with an outline of their program.

Pre-law college is not the place to narrow your goal to a particular field of law, it's the place for you to get a broad, general education that prepares you for law school.

What's HR related? Most of the full time HR people I know, including myself, majored in English, Education, or - believe it or not - Music.

Granted, I am not talking about lawyers. But for Pete's sake, major in something that interests you.

Back