Consumer Law, Warranties Best Buy Warranty

Candlelover

Jurisdiction
Michigan
Last year on Black Friday I passed by I purchased A 4K Ultra HD Smart TV with a five year warranty. Despite the fact that I stopped working shortly after I got it I recently contacted them regarding replacing it. They informed me that with the warranty they only cover the cost I paid not the actual product and if we can't come to an agreement they would give me a store credit. Although it's written in the contract I feel that they should inform customers that the warranty isn't covering the product but how much they pay for it especially on Black Friday. Is there any way to get around this they're trying to give me a TV that isn't 4K or HD and not a smart TV it's a downgrade or store credit which I don't want to buy from them again.

Is there any way to get around this they're trying to give me a TV that isn't 4K or HD and not a smart TV it's a downgrade or store credit which I don't want to buy from them again.

Sure, you can refuse their credit, then bring a small claims lawsuit.

Even if you win the lawsuit, if the TV had a retail value of $500, you might get a
$200-300 judgment.

Or, you could take the credit, add a few bucks to it, and buy something you like.

Frankly, when this has happened to me, I simply buy a replacement.

As long as we're bombarded with junk produced in 3rd nations, failure is very much an option.

The manufacturer warranty would have covered repair or replacement. It likely expired after one year. Had you dealt with the problem right away you could have gotten a new tv.
Store warranties are money making gimmicks, hardly worth the extra expense.

Despite the fact that I stopped working shortly after I got it I recently contacted them regarding replacing it.

You stopped working or the TV stopped working? Assuming this is a typo, how soon after the purchase did the TV stop working?

Is there any way to get around this

Unlikely. I assume you're talking about an additional warranty that you bought from the store, as opposed to the manufacturer's warranty. As noted in the prior response, the manufacturer's warranty presumably would have covered repair or replacement, but you apparently failed to take appropriate action within the warranty period. In any event, the store warranty says what it says. You had the opportunity to review the terms of the warranty before buying the product.

The T. V. Stopped working shortly after.. There were quite a few attempts to contact both the the company and Best Buy its been an on and off struggle with unreturned phone calls missed calls and timing not adding up. Unfortunately I fell very I'll and was in and out of the hospital a lot it sudden and unexpected and I wasn't able to he on top of it like I would have been. My health was more important. Understanding reading the warranty before buy was difficult me and a friend we tag team shopping as it was black Friday they were getting the T. V. I was at Walmart. I understand that there were mistakes made on my part lesson learned. But never purchased from a establishment that doesn't cover the actual product. As highly rated as best buy is I feel as almost it's something they should tell you on black Friday seeing as how they don't give you tome for anything especially reading the fine print on a warranty.

Sure, you can refuse their credit, then bring a small claims lawsuit.

Even if you win the lawsuit, if the TV had a retail value of $500, you might get a
$200-300 judgment.

Or, you could take the credit, add a few bucks to it, and buy something you like.

Frankly, when this has happened to me, I simply buy a replacement.

As long as we're bombarded with junk produced in 3rd nations, failure is very much an option.

Thank you. I think I will look into it.

You stopped working or the TV stopped working? Assuming this is a typo, how soon after the purchase did the TV stop working?

Unlikely. I assume you're talking about an additional warranty that you bought from the store, as opposed to the manufacturer's warranty. As noted in the prior response, the manufacturer's warranty presumably would have covered repair or replacement, but you apparently failed to take appropriate action within the warranty period. In any event, the store warranty says what it says. You had the opportunity to review the terms of the warranty before buying the product.

The T.V. stopped working. Sorry for the mistakes I should have proof read better. The T.V. stopped working approximately 4 to 6 months after buying it. Which as I said in a reply I unexpectedly got very sick and was able to attended them matter as much as j could have.

If you paid by credit card, your credit card might give you an extra year on the manufacturer's warranty. Most credit cards have that feature. Read your account documents. You might at least be able to get it fixed.

Lesson learned about reading store warranties before paying for them. Nobody is obliged to volunteer anything. Self preservation is nobody's business but your own.

If you paid by credit card, your credit card might give you an extra year on the manufacturer's warranty. Most credit cards have that feature. Read your account documents. You might at least be able to get it fixed.

Lesson learned about reading store warranties before paying for them. Nobody is obliged to volunteer anything. Self preservation is nobody's business but your own.

Agreed lesson learned but my friend is the one who was there to buy it. I was at Walmart and being black Friday they tend to shove you out the door but lesson learned. I'll do my research before next time

Back