Being Taken To Small Claims

Status
Not open for further replies.

blusatrnredhead

Five months ago, I left my husband and moved back in with my family. He had left me in another state, pregnant with no medical insurance and refused to pay either for my medical care or for the amount it would cost me to get an abortion. A friend offered to loan me the money because I felt uncomfortable asking my family. Knowing that they have strong religious beliefs, I informed him that part of our verbal contract involving repayment would be that under no circumstances were him or his live-in girlfriend to contact my family about the procedure.

Two months later, after taking care of some business out of state, I returned to find that his girlfriend had come to my family's home and spilled the whole story. Now I'm refusing to pay him, but he is filing in small claims.

Because it was a verbal contract, whose favor is the case in? I can't prove that this was a part of our agreement any more than he can prove he gave me the money in the first place. I'd just like to know what my chances are here. Should I just give in and pay him to avoid having court costs added on to the 600 I already owe? Or should I attempt to fight it out?

In addition, due to the mess my ex-husband left me with, I'm declaring bankruptcy. If he wins the small claims case and I file, can I include that debt in the filing?

Thanks for your time... Please, no comments about the things I've had to do to keep myself afloat here... I'm not proud of where I've been, but I'm trying to get my life back together and it's hard enough as it is without someone's religious or moral principles being spouted at me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back