Personal Bankruptcy Being sued, will bankruptcy help??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkulove210

In 2001 my husband rear-ended a woman, it was a minor accident with no damage to either vehicle. My husband's car insurance had unknowingly lapsed. The woman and her father (passenger) has personal injury claims against my husband. Also, her insurance company is suing my husband for medical bills. In 2003 my husband's license was suspended. He is in the military and had to have a license to do his job. The state of Ohio would not give my husband a valid license until the case was settled. Due to currcumstances, and advice from an incompetent lawyer, my husband signed a document saying he would pay her medical bills. So they gave him his license and he agreed to make payments to her medical bills. Now she is still incurring medical bills, her total bills are over $60,000. (note she was in a head on collision 3 months before my husband rear-ended her, going 5mph). My question is, will filing for bankruptcy help us get out of this mess? We have no assest and no credit card debt. The only debt we have are car loans and the insurance settlement against my husband. Also, the personal injury claims are still hanging over our heads. They are at a 'stay' because my husband is protected under the soldiers and sailors act. Please help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back