Being sued... HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmattjr032

My ex and I broke up a little over 4 years ago. We purchased a home together 2 years prior. I left town for the weekend, came back, the locks were changed. After breaking up, I have tried o several occassions to get her to refinance the house by herself and remove me from the mortgage. She attempted to have the house refinanced with me on it and then have me sign a quit claim deed (tried to trick me). I refused at the time because I would still be held liable for the house financially. There were several other failed attempts... Long story short, I am now being sued for not making any "contributions" to the house which I had no access too.

My question is how is this possible and do I have a counter suit for her changing the locks on me, leaving me homeless?

How is it possible? You signed a contract agreeing to pay. It does not matter the least bit whether you lived in the house.

Typically changing the locks would amount to an illegal eviction, but I don't believe that really applies here given your marriage status.

At the time, you could have simply forced entry and stayed in the house. It is not illegal to break into your own home! At this point it would be illegal since you have not lived there for some time.

You need the help of an attorney to sort out the mess over the house. You remain responsible for the loan as does she.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back