being sued for negligently leaving the car unattended

Status
Not open for further replies.

azpass

My friend "Kate" left her 15 year old daughter and my 14 year old (her daughters friend) in the car with the key in ignition for AC (it was too hot in August); doing quick grocery shopping.
"Kate's" daughter decided to move the car one space further, then got scared of punishment. My daughter felt bad for her and volunteered to move the car back, causing an accident.
"Kate's" insurance will not pay, as her car was operated by uninsured non-relative. "Kate" is being sued by the plaintiffs Auto Insurance Company for negligently leaving her car unattended. Ironically my car is covered by the same Company.

My daughter is being sued as well for careless, reckless, negligent action that caused the damages. I know she didn't do it with any of the stated intentions; it was an innocently stupid accident.
The amount in damages is $5,100 + attorney fees and interest. Did "Kate" in fact left her car "unattended" with two teens in it? Please advice how we should plead and if there is anything that can help us lower the payment. We do understand that we have to pay. This happened in New Jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back