Being photographed without permission

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nstratacos

Jurisdiction
California
I am a minor in high school, and a classmate frequently photographs me and places these pictures online without my consent/against my will. Is there any specific law that prohibits this?

Nope, no law against it, as long as you have your clothes on and have no expectation of privacy.

But feel free to tell your parents who can complain to the school who can complain to your classmate's parents and you can be branded a whiney rat until graduation.

Otherwise start taking photos of your classmate and post the photos online. Might put a stop to it.

I am a minor in high school, and a classmate frequently photographs me and places these pictures online without my consent/against my will. Is there any specific law that prohibits this?

Your school, specifically your school district, may have rules (regulations) that prohibit such conduct.

I suggest you ask one of your school administrators if such conduct is prohibited.

Additionally, the behavior might be considered stalking or harassment under your state's laws, or city ordinances.

Therefore, it is always wise as a minor to inform your parents or guardians about any behavior or action which makes you feel uncomfortable.

In some school districts the behavior that disturbs you could make you feel UNSAFE.

Therefore, its always appropriate to talk to your school counselor or school administrator about behaviors that cause you to be UNCOMFORTABLE.

I am NOT saying the behavior is ANYTHING in particular, only that you need to report it, and seek guidance so that you can feel SAFE in the taxpayer funded learning environment that you are required to participate in daily!!!!

If you have asked them to stop doing so, then I would take it to the next level of a counselor, principal or parent. Honestly I tell my kids to try to handle what they can first and then if I need to jump in, I will. But to try first.

I agree that most schools have some type of policy, especially if the pictures are being taken at school during school hours/events.

Nope, no law against it, as long as you have your clothes on and have no expectation of privacy.

But feel free to tell your parents who can complain to the school who can complain to your classmate's parents and you can be branded a whiney rat until graduation.

Otherwise start taking photos of your classmate and post the photos online. Might put a stop to it.
Dangerous advice if this is a stalker or otherwise unbalanced fellow student.

Talk to your parents and or guidance counselor. If you do not want your picture taken and posted online he should respect that. If you feel safe in doing so, and have not already, ask him directly to stop. If he refuses or you are not comfortable confronting him, go directly to your parents or guidance counselor, or other trusted adult at the school. It doesn't make you a whiny rat or anything else. You get to decide your online presence and what makes you feel uncomfortable. Either this kid is just immature and clueless and will stop, or he needs help to understand appropriate boundaries.

Where are these photos placed online? Many social media sites do not allow for photographs of minors to be posted without consent. It's very difficult to find the form but you can report to Facebook a violation of your privacy rights or your child's privacy rights. Other sites feature something similar. Understand that these are site-based decisions as a matter of their own policies and not law. And it is almost certainly a violation of your school's policies, most of which have had to deal with situations like this on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back