being passed while making a right turn by the guy behind you

Status
Not open for further replies.

yachtchef4487

So I ride a motorcycle and was hit and im trying to find out and make sure I didn't do anything wrong. So I was making a right hand turn in a designated right hand turn lane and there is only one. as I was making my turn the light started to turn yellow. The lady in the car behind me in the right turn lane tried to pass me to beat the light and side swiped me. The lady tried to say she was in the left lane and that I hit her but I never even completed my turn before I hit the ground. So I guess the basic question I am asking is, is it legal to try to pass someone making a right turn and turning into the left lane rather than the right lane? This is my first accident and I am freaking out and even though i don't think the accident was my fault I would like to have more information.

Based on what you posted, it "sounds like" you didn't do anything wrong. You need to report the accident to your ins. company & go from there.

You are supposed to turn into the closest lane. If you were making a right turn and went directly across to the far left lane you MIGHT have been doing something wrong.
It sounds as if the vehicle behind you tried to do the same thing?
Regardless, as you describe it, it sounds as if fault will fall on the other driver. If neither of you received a citation then your insurance companies have to duke it out.

It may not be completely clear but "seems" OP was turning from right lane into right hand lane but lady went from right hand lane & turned into left hand lane. Anyway, needs to be reported to ins. co. & let them handle.

Last edited:
Yea, sounds like the other person SHOULD be at fault here but definitely call your insurance company asap and get the ball rolling if you havent already. Good luck and be safe on the bike!

William G. Mathews, Attorney At Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back