Property Invasion, Damages, Trespass Being accused of violating trespass order

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarolina32

I was placed on trespass notice by my ex-boyfriend's prior girlfriend whom he is now with again. It states that I am not to go to their property, call, email, etc. The notice was sent to me 2 weeks ago, and just last week she apparently got an email at work which upset her, and both him and her are assuming that I sent it. They went to their lawyer again and resent me another trespass notice.
Here is what I am worried about. This notice says that if it's violated that I can be charged with Trespassing after Notice (sc code 16-11-600) and they'll seek a restraining order against me under (sc code 16-3-1750).
I am also aware that she has her friends and neighbors looking out for me, and whenever they see a car similar to mine in the neighborhood they all rush to tell her I was near her home. Now, I drive a silver Camry, probably the most popular car on earth so I am afraid this will happen often where they think it's me.
So my concern is: Can I be charged based on hearsay that people (think) they have seen my car in her neighborhood, or as with the email she received last week, can I be charged because they assume it was me who sent it? Or do they have to have proof before I can be charged? If you're charged, what happens, does that mean you get arrested?
I am scared and do not want to be involved in any of this. I am afraid they are 'looking' for things so that they can get me in trouble. Please help.
Thanks in advance.

The fact that a gazillion people have the same car as yours doesn't really fly as an excuse. Only your car has the tag number assigned to it, so if they see you driving by, they have grounds to denounce you. Will you be charged if caught violating the order? Yes. Will you be arrested? Yes. Do what the order says - stay away from them and cease any type of contact with them. With today's technology, one can find the owners of IP addresses that electronic communications come from and, if you indeed are the one sending those, that can be used against you. Courts can have access to that type of information.

Thank you. I'm not sure I was clear enough. I am doing exactly what the order says.
I'm not looking to see that if I drive by that I can say my car is popular as an excuse. What I'm saying is that I am definitely not driving by there as I would never chance getting charged and arrested...What I want to know is can they just see a car like mine, assume it's me without checking the tags or anything, and go forward with pressing charges? I'm concerned that there are many cars like mine and they will continue to jump to the conclusion that it's me when it is not, and I don't want to get falsely accused.
Same with the email...it was not me who sent it so I actually wish they would trace it so they would see that it wasn't me. What I am worried about again, is that they just assume it's me and use it to press charges.
So what I'm concerned about is them looking for things like this and pressing charges. Can they do that? Would I have to go through the system then and everything to be absolved? Or do they need the proof in order to press charges in the first place?

No to the first question. The answer to the email is - they have to prove that it came from you. Third question - they can try but if you are sure you are not doing anything, they won't have a case to pursue. Stay away from these people and move on with your life - that is the best advice one can give you. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back