Repairs, Maintenance Bedbugs and LAndlord is ignoring our calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimdora

We have had bedbugs in this apartment several times, this being the third occurrence. As soon as my roommate began experiencing bites, yet again, we called the super who then called the exterminator. The exterminator came to our home and found nothing, however that night we witnessed a bed bug crawling across my roommates bed. As a result we called the exterminator, informed him, and then he verbally assaulted my roommate, stating that we were lying and that he refuses to come back into the apartment AND that he is going to attempt and report us to the city. We then turned to management. The management has not responded to our emails or phone calls. The super is now ignoring us as well. We then contacted 311 because all other outlets were appearing to be exhausted. As a result we took action within our building, giving out letters to fellow tenants, attempting to see if in fact, we were the only ones suffering from this problem. The feedback was astounding and several tenants described to us in detail their bed bug woes and even had similar problems with management. We now fear that this is a building wide problem and no one seems to be addressing it our treating the entire building. At this point we do not know what to do. We want to terminate the lease, but the landlord will not respond to our calls. We wanted to try and withhold rent, but we fear being evicted. Legally we are confused to what our rights are. We have received prior treatment, but the treatment did not work and we are being refused a tertiary treatment. we understand that the landlord has 30 days to solve the problem, but when do the 30 days start? does anyone have any advice on this?

Last edited:
Follow the procedure set forth in your lease.
If you withhold rent and do not follow proper procedure then expect to be evicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back