Bay Bridge: 70 in 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

typeszh

New to the forum. So for my first post, a speeding ticket.

I was doing 70 on the Bay Bridge from SF to Oakland. The speed posted was 50, the CHP just wrote down Speed Approx. was 70.

I know it is a long shot but the CHP officer wrote down I was 22 years of age. But it was still June and my birthday is in July. Anyone think I can get the courts to throw this one out due to the age discrephancy between my actual age and the age written on the ticket?

The infraction was 23336VC and thanks ahead of time for the help.

No, that is not a substantial mistake. As long as the ticket sufficiently identifies you it will not be thrown out because of this minor error

California Speeding Ticket

Minor discrepancies do not invalidate a speeding ticket. If you do point it out the judge will simply ammend the ticket. In addition the officer can always correct the error and issue a new citation.

You should receive a courtesy notice in about two weeks notifying you that you are eligible for traffic school. Since most California courts will accept online traffic school that is your best option. Here is the link

Online Traffic School

Thanks for the info. This isn't my first speeding ticket, so yea I hope I can get traffic school. Its a 18 month gap before you can go to traffic school again right?

Second Offender's Traffic School

For regular traffic school in California it is eighteen months. There is a second offender's raffic school that has to be approved by the judge and a court appearance is required unless you have an attorney.

Some judges will routinely approve, others only if you have an attorney, and others depending on your record and the violation. If you are trying this route you need to get some information on what the judge normally approves.

This is still better than having the speeding ticket on your record for the insurance company to see.

The CHP officer made another mistake on the citation but he sent me a Notice of Correction and Proof of Service where he noted the mistake.

The mistake was just the courts address. I am just wondering why doesn't he correct the age mistake while he was at it? Maybe it is non substantial like everyone said.

This leads me to think that this officer is serious about his duties and he is going to show up for sure in court. But I'm going to go anyway just to see if I can get the judge to lower my penalty.

I got cited too for Bay Bridge

How much did you pay for that ticket? I got cited for at 70mph as well :mad: ....on stupid Christmas Eve. Were you able to protest against it??

Thanks

Any updates on this?

I just got a ticket today, also going 70 on the Bay Bridge. The ticket will come in 10 days or so, how much should I expect to pay for it? Anyone know if I go to court to plead guilty and traffic school, would they lower the fine? This is my first ticket since I started driving. I've only been driving for a few years, I'm 24 by the way. How much would this affect my auto insurance?

Thanks.

The Silly Bay Bridge

This is quite an old thread so I'm very surprised nobody's posted anything different to the questionable "obey the city like a dog" responses I see here.

Here's some tips that might make your life (the working taxpayer yet guilty until proven innocent) easier:

Don't fight your ticket in court, the cops WANT you to do that because they get paid extra to show up. They couldn't wait for you to try to fight it in court- don't give them the satisfaction. Fight your ticket by mailing a written piece: Trial by Written Declaration.

23336 vc says you broke the posted speed limit. 22351 says, so what? as long as I didn't break 22350 which backs up that it was more than safe at that moment to do so. It's the bay bridge. How on earth can you do 70mph if everyone else is going 50mph? Simple, because there's either no traffic, or the car in front of you is going 70 also- thus, safe to do so.

As a second argument, use 40803(b) to question the speed survey done on the bay bridge, which has had a 50mph speed limit for quite some time. The fact is, many people are ticketed on the bay bridge for 70mph... which means many people do 70mph on the bay bridge at one point or another. It's tricky because when the bridge is clear, even 60mph seems too slow but when it's crowded, 10-30mph is possible, making 50mph sound like a reasonable average.

Yes, this is A GAME. It's unfortunate that many traffic regulations turned out that way but despite what cops tell you, what cops themselves are brainwashed into believing, this system is not for your safety. If it was, it'd be a LOT harder to get a license at DMV. This system is a racket, it's designed to take your money. That's why even if you fight your ticket by written declaration, you still have to pay the fine. If you win, they give you the rebate-- *cough* excuse me, the refund back.

So fight any and all tickets that you get, every single time. Even if you lose you most likely will get a reduced fine. It's pitiful for working taxpayers to be bullied by the city.

CalGranger said:
23336 vc says you broke the posted speed limit. 22351 says, so what? as long as I didn't break 22350 which backs up that it was more than safe at that moment to do so.
23336 is not relevant to the Basic Speed law. It provides an exception for the Department of Transportation to establish rules for the safe and orderly flow of traffic over vehicular crossings.

It's pitiful for working taxpayers to be bullied by the city.
You operate under the erroneous presumption that in CA local jurisdiction receive a bunch of money for sitations ... they don't. The amount of revenue local government can receive is not only capped, but generally does not equal the amount of time spent on the citation and record-keeping. They are generally NOT money-making ventures.

If I wanted to make my city or department more self-sufficient, I would hire a battalion of parking enforcement officers and ignore moving violations. Parking is where the money is - not movers.

- Carl

Is 23336vc relevant to the presumed speed law?

I was doing faster than 50 on the Bay Bridge from SF to Oakland. The speed posted was 50, the CHP wrote down Speed Approx. was 70. The infraction was 23336vc.
Is 23336vc relevant to the presumed speed law? Is it possible to defend and how?

Thanks ahead for help.

No, it is not. It is specifically a violation of posted regulations on a vehicular crossing (i.e. - a bridge).

23336. It is unlawful to violate any rules or regulations adopted
under Section 23334, notice of which has been given either by a sign
on a vehicular crossing or by publication as provided in Section

Also, posting on another's thread - especially an old one - is considerd bad form and is often called "hijacking".

- Carl

A motorist police officer pulled me and another motorist after exiting the baybridge from sf for speeding(23336vc).There was traffic at the time and the far right lane was blocked.He used hand and eye contact to pull me and the motorist who was behind me to the right.He did not turn on his lights in addition he sworve through many cars to get us.Can this be contested also is there anywhere that states the officer doesnt need his lights or radar to pull me over.id sure need the help thanks!

A motorist police officer pulled me and another motorist after exiting the baybridge from sf for speeding(23336vc).There was traffic at the time and the far right lane was blocked.He used hand and eye contact to pull me and the motorist who was behind me to the right.He did not turn on his lights in addition he sworve through many cars to get us.Can this be contested also is there anywhere that states the officer doesnt need his lights or radar to pull me over.id sure need the help thanks!
If you intend to pursue this further, please start your own thread.

In short, once you submitted to his authority, there was no reason for him to use lights and a siren to compel your acquiescence. You can contest the citation on the facts surrounding the violation, not on whether the officer had his emergency lights on or not.

- Carl

Question on violation code 23336 CV

I was pulled over today on the Bay Bridge and was cited for infraction of 23336 cv, "failure to obey speed sign on bay bridge." is this a moving violation that will go on my driving record?

When you get to the court you will talk to the solicitor. If your driving record is clean they will off to lower it to whatever level doesn't go on your record if you plead guilty and pay the fine. Bring the amount of money you will owe. Call the Court and they will tell you how much it is. Good luck, slow down.

When you get to the court you will talk to the solicitor. If your driving record is clean they will off to lower it to whatever level doesn't go on your record if you plead guilty and pay the fine. Bring the amount of money you will owe. Call the Court and they will tell you how much it is. Good luck, slow down.
Actually, it is very rare for CA traffic courts to have a prosecutor present. When they are present, it is generally to seek plea deals, but any moving violation for speed will result in a one point hit on the OP's license, so about all the OP could hope for would be a lower fine by pleading to a speed of, say, 65 MPH or less.

Most the time, you are on your own and you wither win or lose. Traffic school will help the OP keep it off their driving record and save money on insurance, but he would still have to pay the fines and the fee for traffic school.

- Carl

Update: I protested in court and lost miserably. My advice use written by declaration, possibly your best hopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back