Bank of America EDD Debit Card Scammed for $10,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

PR660

Jurisdiction
California
My sister, a very hard working waitress for over 20 years, was at the grocery store (11/06/21) buying a few ingredients she needed for a new dish she planned to prepare. The total was around 14 dollars. She used her Bank of America EDD Debit card for the transaction and she oddly had a payment remainder of around $7.00???

She freaked out. Knowing that she had nearly $10,000 in the account, she called the number on the back of the card. I listened as the interaction was being amplified via speaker. After about 35 minutes of hold time, she spoke to an agent who gave her the "3rd degree," asking all sorts of security questions, etc, some of which she was completely puzzled by. I assisted. She (we) answered all the questions and then explained what had happened.

The agent was completely unempathetic, not even the slightest bit sympathetic nor apologetic. My sister was treated as if she was the actual scum-bag scammer. She was issued a new card and was told to wait for a confirmation letter which should be arriving within 14-60 days.

The online functions of the EDD card do NOT permit her to transfer funds, however, the low-life scammer was apparently, able to do so:

STATE OF CA EDD UNEMPLOYM 10/23/2021

$ -5,000.00 Direct Deposit Funds Transfer to checking/savings

STATE OF CA EDD UNEMPLOYM 11/02/2021

$ -4,800.00 Direct Deposit Funds Transfer to checking/savings

$ -180.00 Direct Deposit Funds Transfer to checking/savings

We don't know if she'll ever get reimbursed. Moreover, the anxiety, frustration, inconvenience and grief from the whole ordeal should additionally have a punitive price tag.

Is there legal recourse that could be instigated on my sister's behalf?

Thanks in advance!

Moreover, the anxiety, frustration, inconvenience and grief from the whole ordeal should additionally have a punitive price tag.

Over-react much?

Never gonna happen. For one thing it's not the bank's fault that she got scammed. For another, it's the employee's job to question her at length to make sure she's not the one doing the scamming.

She's just going to have to cooperate with the bank during the investigation.

By the way, has she read her account holder agreement to see if there are things she has to do that she hasn't done. Like maybe putting the claim in writing and sent to the proper place. If she doesn't follow procedure (in spite of the call) the bank will have no responsibility.

STATE OF CA EDD UNEMPLOYM 10/23/2021

$ -5,000.00 Direct Deposit Funds Transfer to checking/savings

$ -4,800.00 Direct Deposit Funds Transfer to checking/savings

$ -180.00 Direct Deposit Funds Transfer to checking/savings

The funds taken from her account ended up in another account.

If her notification to the card issuer was done according to the rules and in a timely manner, the THIEF should be revealed rather quickly.

The victim should contact the state agency and follow the directions as to how one should report fraudulent activity on the EDD card.

EDD warns customers after several reports of text message scam

2 On Your Side: Latest EDD Scam Targeting Out-Of-State Residents Via Text

Fraudulent Charges Appearing On Bank Of America EDD Debit Cards Of 350,000 Unemployed Californians

https://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de2360tf.pdf

Debit Card | California EDD

The EDD Actively Prosecutes Fraud | California EDD

The funds taken from her account ended up in another account.

If her notification to the card issuer was done according to the rules and in a timely manner, the THIEF should be revealed rather quickly.

The victim should contact the state agency and follow the directions as to how one should report fraudulent activity on the EDD card.

The scam took place 10-23 and 11-2. My sis didn't notice (and notify) until she was in the store on 11-6... Too much time lapsed.

The scam took place 10-23 and 11-2. My sis didn't notice (and notify) until she was in the store on 11-6... Too much time lapsed.
Why do you believe that too much time has gone by for sis to report the fraudulent activity?

Why don't you have your sis log on to ask her own questions?

Maybe not. All of my accounts give 30 days to notify the bank of fraudulent activity.

Yeah, that.

Doesn't work well sending information back and forth through a middleman.

Why do you believe that too much time has gone by for sis to report the fraudulent activity?

1) The initial post stated she reported the activity after the grocery store "enlightenment."

2) My sister has been a waitress for over 20 years. She has no interest in the PC or these forums. Her Internet experiences are basically watching communist China owned TikTok, and sometimes, Instagram videos. She is kind and generous, loves animals, but has no intellectual curiosity whatsoever.

BTW, she is my step-sister. I have no biological relation to her.

Last edited:
Could you please explain what the difference would be as an advocate on her behalf?
Didn't you ever play "telephone" as a kid? Details tend to change with every retelling.

I would suggest a little bit of patience. As of this moment, it's been less than 3 days since this was discovered and reported. Have your sister keep in touch with the bank about the matter, but don't expect that it's going to be corrected overnight.

Also, your sister can authorize you to speak to the bank on her behalf. Ask the rep at the bank how to do that.

Didn't you ever play "telephone" as a kid? Details tend to change with every retelling.

I would suggest a little bit of patience. As of this moment, it's been less than 3 days since this was discovered and reported. Have your sister keep in touch with the bank about the matter, but don't expect that it's going to be corrected overnight.

Also, your sister can authorize you to speak to the bank on her behalf. Ask the rep at the bank how to do that.

1) Yes. 'Telephone' was a fun game and the outcome was dependent on the memory and IQ level of the participants. Be informed, once again, that I was there listening during the original presentation. I have photographic/audiographic memory.

We don't expect it to be corrected overnight. And, yes, I am currently speaking to the bank on her behalf... Thank you for your time.

And so, you expected a message board to be able to do...what?...that wasn't already being done?

This was in the original post:

"We don't know if she'll ever get reimbursed. Moreover, the anxiety, frustration, inconvenience and grief from the whole ordeal should additionally have a punitive price tag.

Thanks in advance!"

This was in the original post:

"We don't know if she'll ever get reimbursed. Moreover, the anxiety, frustration, inconvenience and grief from the whole ordeal should additionally have a punitive price tag.

Thanks in advance!"
No

Ok! here we go. My sis got a call today and was reimbursed the 10 grand. Yipee!!!

Thanks very much US Taxpayers!

She was told to activate the new card and we did this over the phone while driving at around 2:15 PM. We asked and were then transferred to a rep where we asked how to transfer the money out of this extremely RETARDED account.

We were told we could transfer $3000 per day by calling the same number with routing #, acct # and card #. Ok. Fine. It would take 4 days and 4 phone calls...

Within 45 minutes, we went into the account and noticed a transaction (3:05 pm) for $3000 that was completed into the same SCUMBAG'S account.

This is nuts! I think B of A and/or EDD should hire some smart 4th graders to figure out what's up...Anyone agree?

Ok! here we go. My sis got a call today and was reimbursed the 10 grand. Yipee!!!

Thanks very much US Taxpayers!

She was told to activate the new card and we did this over the phone while driving at around 2:15 PM. We asked and were then transferred to a rep where we asked how to transfer the money out of this extremely RETARDED account.

We were told we could transfer $3000 per day by calling the same number with routing #, acct # and card #. Ok. Fine. It would take 4 days and 4 phone calls...

Within 45 minutes, we went into the account and noticed a transaction (3:05 pm) for $3000 that was completed into the same SCUMBAG'S account.

This is nuts! I think B of A and/or EDD should hire some smart 4th graders to figure out what's up...Anyone agree?
I am glad to hear your sister got reimbursed. Despite what someone here may call you, I don't think you're vile at all. Sorry that you had to endure that. I have been going through something similar and I came to this forum to ask a few questions as well but read this thread first. Many of the bank personnel do not know the answers but will say something to get rid of you. Especially the "customer service" people in the branch i go to. (I intend to change asap.) My account has been hacked, request for reimbursement denied, I did report it to police but have questions about that which is why I am looking at the board. Again, glad your sister was reimbursed, and I understand your attitude perfectly. Sad that so much crime is taking place. We don't have much, but again -- a crook took over $1,000 from our account and bank fraud department won't reimburse. It's insane, I finally called police and they're investigating but -- that's not to say the right action will be taken. Anyway, congratulations again that your sister got reimbursed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back