Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Bad (illegal) procedures in a small town

Status
Not open for further replies.

watamess

My friend and I were in her car on our way back to a house where we were staying for the weekend. (Her boyfriend's) We'd been shooping for 3 hours. The house is at the end of a single car, dirt road. Halfway to it, there were police in a clearing. (My husband was in the back of a police car) They stopped us saying they were looking for a guy they had a warrant for (The guy is a resident of the house wanted on fraud charges). We told him he should be down at the house. He checked our i.d., gave it back,and told us to wait. About 10 minutes later we were told to get out of the car. I asked why, the officer repeated "get out of the car". They proceeded to search (without consent), finding drugs under the seat. They arrested both of us then and put me in the back of a police car. My friend was about 50 feet away signing something with the handcuffs on. It was a consent to search. In jail, one officer asked me whose drugs were under the seat, I said I didn't know. He yelled "it was one brown rock this big (holds fingers in position about the size of walnut) its nothing! Its probation! Why won't anybody take it?" I said I don't know. He questioned more about the weekend and what everyone was doing there (a cookout). That was 4 yrs ago. I am charged with less than gram of mda (one brown rock the size of a walnut???) and less than oz of mj. The guy they were looking for at the time we were stopped had been down at the house with other officers already found and arrested and had meth with him in the room. The trial is coming up and yesterday I was offered 2 yrs probation, plea offer to be withdrawn on the 3rd. My friend's attny called D.A. today to notify of his intention to file motion to suppress due to illegal search. My attny called me telling me the D.A. was very mad and changed the deadline to this Friday. If I refuse it, they'll also charge me with what was in the house. My attny said if I take it to trial hoping the motion to suppress is granted in this particular Ga town, I'll most likely go to prison as they have a very high drug conviction/prison rate even if it is a first offense. What the hell can I do? Sorry this is so lengthy. I assure you there's way more to this story than this.

Q: What the hell can I do?

A: Take the plea bargain.

So, after verifying we were not the guy they were looking for as they stated in discovery was the sole reason for stopping us (and when they stopped us they knew the guy had been arrested already and the officers were searching the house), they can search the car without asking, and charge me with something someone I didn't know was in possession of at a house that was a mile away from me when I'd been gone for 3 hours and there were a trunkful of groceries to prove it? They can do this to get me to accept a plea offer? I was thinking they were maybe more afraid that the motion to suppress could very well be approved and were trying to get at least one of us. I'm just afraid that I'll sign it and the whole thing will be thrown out due to illegal seizure.

since 911 there is no such thing as illegal search i hope u were smart and took the probation. going to trial when there that much against u is just plain dumb 2yrs probation vrs 2-20 in prison do the math

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back