1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Bad checks

Discussion in 'Consumer Fraud & Scams' started by Slobodan Popovic, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Slobodan Popovic

Slobodan Popovic Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Illinois
    Can somebody please help me, i would really appreciate. I have sign company and customer walked in and order signs for trade show. Next day he ordered again. He paid dach day with a check. After 7 days i got letter from bank that both check bounced. I did a little research on customer and find out he did this at least 6 times before. There are other sign companies who went through the same issues with this guy. Check am
    ounts are 150 and 600. He wrote me checks that belongs to his company and company is LLC. Company is registeted on his home address and i dont think he has any assets registered on this company. What can i do

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Most people would have contacted the police immediately upon learning they had been cheated.

Now you know, too.

You start by reporting the incidents to your local police or sheriff.
    Once you do that the police or sheriff will tell you how to proceed.

Don't expect to get any money back on your own, but do expect the prosecutor to pursue charges against the scammer.

If the prosecutor charges the deadbeat, you MIGHT get some (maybe all) of your money back through the court system.

Red Kayak likes this.
  3. Slobodan Popovic

Does this mean i will have to file suit against scammer? Because even if i win small claim court it will be hard to collect money. Should i contact some of these people that have been scammed from same guy and press criminal charges?

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Report the crime to the police.

The police will tell you how to proceed.

5. Slobodan Popovic

6. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

1. Sue.
    2. Report what happened to the police and/or district attorney.
    3. Nothing.

There are, of course, other options that may be of questionable legality.