bad check

Status
Not open for further replies.

anjoramma

I just received a notice in the mail regarding a bad check written in 1999. The company is sating I owe them $239.00 for a check originally for $60.00. They state it was written in Oregon, where I was living at the time, but the notice is form a company here in California
(where I now live).

I have absolutely no recollection of this check being written. To complicate things, the bank no longer exists (it was bought out by Wells Fargo) and they can't access the record. I think what happened is I closed m checking account because my wallet was stolen and I forgot I had a check pending and it bounced.

I have never in my life bounced a check and this I have never dealt with a creditor before. Does anyone know if there is a stature of limitations on this sort of thing? It seems absurd that a company would come after me 7 years later and sue me for three times the amount of a check I don't even remember writing. I want to make it right and don't want my credit negatively affected but I also don't want to be bullied. Any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back