Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Bad Check

mrtyroneb22

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
Can I be indicted for a bad check from 2002,I just received a letter from the district attorney office,saying if I don't pay they will issue a warrant for my arrest..what can I do

Can I be indicted for a bad check from 2002,I just received a letter from the district attorney office,saying if I don't pay they will issue a warrant for my arrest..what can I do

If the checks were simply NSF items, the SOL in MS is three years.

Whether the check was eligible to be prosecuted as a felony or misdemeanor, MS has a two year SOL, as regards criminal charges.

If you were indicted or charged, appeared and failed to reappear, that changes my answer.
If that were the case, this would still linger.

Contracts and Promissory Notes: 3 years (MCA 75-3-118, 75-2-725, and 15-1-49).

Open Accounts: 3 years from the date at which time the items on the account became due and payable,(MCA 15-1-29 & MCA 15-1-31).

If a debt collector is collecting a bad check debt which is past the statute of limitations, or you believe you are a victim of illegal or unfair debt collection practices, submit your information by:

Calling toll free 888-FDCPA-LAW (888-332-7252);
You can call 888 595 9111 now to start Fair Debt Collection Process.
You might be entitled to receive a $1,000 (or more) penalty.

The debt collector may just be liable to you for statutory damages of up to $1,000, plus any actual damages suffered, plus attorney fees!

If, on the other hand, you wrote a check on a CLOSED ACCOUNT, that is a HORSE of another color.

Back