Backround check

Dijana

Jurisdiction
Florida
I was arrested in 2010 for possession of a controlled substance, but not convicted of anything for that arrest until 2014 and ended up with a reduced charge of possession of paraphernalia. I am getting ready to apply for an important job and was wondering how that might look on a criminal record? Since the arrest was more that 7 years ago would the potential employer not even see that and just see the conviction from 2014? My research has shown that arrest records fall off after 7 years but convictions are for life. I've been trying to find a reputable site to run a background check on myself so I can see what that looks like, every site says they have information on that, but I can never find it. Help?

wondering how that might look on a criminal record?

Most background checks available for purchase reflect EXACTLY the charge at arrest and the charge upon conviction.

Florida offers FREE access for most arrest and conviction records, even IF you're posting from Lost Wages in Nevada:

FDLE - Public Records

County Jails and Inmate Searches - Division of Library and Information Services - Florida Department of State

So do Florida county sheriffs, here are a few examples:

Welcome to Lee County Sheriff s Office

HCSO Arrest Inquiry Search

Pasco Sheriff

My research has shown that arrest records fall off after 7 years but convictions are for life.

Your research differs from mine.

Arrest and conviction records never disappear.

Some states might remove older ones, but the FBI never has, never will!

I have already offered you a few suggestions above.

You KNOW the county and city in which you were arrested, start by using any search engine to locate the county arrest records, and if it was a larger city, the city arrest records, if they apply.

The FDLE maintains those records, too.

Arrests that rose to the level of charges being filed are almost certainly visible. It's almost always better to admit with explanation, than be suspected of lying about your past.

Since the arrest was more that 7 years ago would the potential employer not even see that and just see the conviction from 2014?

Never assume that your internet research is a guarantee of anything.

Answer the questions truthfully. If you lie on the application you'll only get fired when the employer finds out and then you'll have the termination to explain along with the conviction.

Seven years is the history on most commercial checks, so it's all consumer stuff (and low level employment checks will see). However, just about any job that requires are REAL background check will as pointed out, see stuff to the beginning of time.

Further, nothing really goes away once it hits the internet.

Edit: "Good Reason" seems a bit loaded though. Wasn't sure that was even needed. Did I offend you somehow? The way that it is written it feels like it somehow offended you. For sure wasn't my intent.

Necroposting has been frowned on at every legal message board I've posted on over the past couple decades, but it doesn't offend me. Also, best not to read offense (or any other emotion) into a very simply-worded question.

Back