Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks Background check of dismissed & reduced record

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcd2112

I had a felony record of embezzlement in 1993 and was sentenced to one day and the rest of the fine made up in community service. The record was reduced to misdemeanor and after completion of the community service, it was dismissed. Since I am now going to be job hunting, when a potential employer does a background check, will my dismissed record now show up?

And if it does, how can I expunge my record on my own?

EXTRA! EXTRA! The system sucks! No matter what crime you are convicted of or if you were arrested incorrectly and the charges were dropped against you, the charges will still remain on your "arrest" record until you go through all the trouble to get them either expunged or sealed (which comes out of your pocket; Roughly $1000).

Okay I went to the superior court last week and looked up my case so I can get a copy. When the clerk typed in the #, she said that the case was already exunged. Hmmm....I didn't know that I guess the lawyer that handled it before had made that a stipulation as part of a deal. So does this mean I can answer No to all those questions about "have you ever been convicted?" blah blah blah?

Or will this record somehow show up randomly during a background check?

Just to be safe, there's a full proof method of finding out what's on your record. Go to your local sheriff's station and ask for your background check. It usually costs $5 and they'll give you anything you've ever been arrested for that is STILL on your record. Whatever comes up there will come up when an employer does a background check as well.

Oh crap

Thanks CML. I just checked with the Superior Court and they said it doesn't wipe out the arrest record. So now how do I get rid of that too? Dang. I need that because I'm interviewing with several companies right now and can't afford to have any blemishes.

well i have been trying to figure out some of this stuff myself as i am exploring on how to have a misd. expunged. i have heard, that it doesnt erase the arrest and that almost nothing will, however, if it has been expunged you can still answer NO. the check should come back expunged...... basically meaning forgiven and you dont have to answer YES. but thats only the things that i have heard from an attorney not for sure. so in short... i think it forgives the conviction but always shows an arrest. if superior court shows expunged thats about all you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back