Back spousal benefits

O

Old Moe

Jurisdiction
West Virginia
I received a letter from SSA dated 12-24-16 that it was time to apply for SSA retirement since I turn 70 in May. I did this online 1-13-17. A week later I received a phone call from SSA that I have choices: I am entitled to spousal benefits and retirement benefits. I was unaware my divorced wife had the credits for me to receive spousal benefits. Choice one: receive spousal benefits until May then my retirement will supersede. SSA will go back to July 2016 and pay past spousal benefits and continue monthly amounts through April 2017. I choose this option.
Apparently, I could have applied for retirement at age 66 and selected it to start at age 70 and would have received the same phone call and information that I was entitled to spousal benefits to have started nearly four years ago. This monthly amount would total over $30,000 for this period. I received a letter from SSA dated 3/15/17 stating i can challenge SSA decision within 60 days. Something I would do if there are grounds to proceed. So my question is: are there any presentence to proceed or is this $30,000+ lost forever.

Back