AZ blackout lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyAirTraffic

First I'd like to say that I joined this forum after reading through several different websites. This one seemed the most helpful.

So, 2 motorcycle cops with nothing better to do pulled me over and wrote me a repair order for the blackout kit I have installed on the car. Here are the Arizona laws:

28-931. Lamp colors

A. Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
B. Rear clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.
C. All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color

28-941. Multiple beam road lighting equipment arrangement

4. A person shall not operate a motor vehicle with a colored transparent or translucent substance or material installed, affixed or applied on or in front of the head lamps, the auxiliary driving lamp or the auxiliary passing lamp or combinations of the head lamps, driving lamp or passing lamp that would obstruct, reduce or interfere with the visibility or effectiveness of the head lamps or that would change the color of light emitted. This paragraph does not prohibit the placement of clear transparent material mounted in front of the head lamps, fog lamps or auxiliary driving lamps.

I understand that the headlight covers are 100% illegal now, given you can't even put a clear product on them. However my question is for the rear and side markers. The law says "display OR reflect a red color". Now they obviously don't display a red color, but when I put a flashlight to it, they do omit/reflect a red color. Not bright red obviously, but there is a red reflection.

I guess I'm asking the lawyer guys here, even though they don't emit a large red reflection, they do reflect red and fall under the "reflect a red color" parameters of the law. You think this is worth fighting, you think it's enough to make them legal? I did my research before purchasing and the only thing I found before was this:

28-925. Tail lamps

A. A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer and any other vehicle that is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear. When lighted as required by this article, the tail lamp shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, except that in the case of a train of vehicles, only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified.

I would hate to have blown $300+ on the complete blackout kit. (Here is my actual car and an example of the red reflection)

1397319_10152098733319294_1175710592_o.jpg

I misused emit when I asked my question about the tail lights. I should have said reflect instead. Emit is only used in the laws when describing the headlights, which I now know cannot be covered.

28-925. Tail lamps
A. A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer and any other vehicle that is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear. When lighted as required by this article, the tail lamp shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, except that in the case of a train of vehicles, only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified.

Looks like it's mentioned here.

Yes it does, good catch. However that is the law I mentioned as the only one I knew about, and my blackout covers conformed to that law.

"Reflect red" is the relevant term here, given my tail lights emit red visible from 500ft away.

You might ask what a traffic law attorney in your area thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back