Auto Shop Dispute- Do I have standing to win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

titansfan1234

I left my vehicle with a shop to have the AC fixed. It took 6 weeks. The AC wasn't fixed. I took it back. ANOTHER 6 weeks went by. I discovered that the person who took the car apart, didn't know what he was doing and quit. The new person didn't know how to fix the AC either or even how to put the car back together. Finally, after 12 total weeks, I picked it up. It still didn't work right so I took it elsewhere. The new shop told me it was one of the worst jobs they had ever seen in 30 years. Everything the previous shop had done had to be re-done. Also, several pieces had been broken by the previous shop.
Is the first shop responsible for the bill I paid to the second shop to fix the problems of the first shop?
My bill from the first shop charged me for labor. Can I get that back?
The parts charged from the first shop are up to 3 times more expensive than actual cost. Do I have standing to challenge the price and request some of that back if I have multiple examples of cheaper pricing?

Did the first shop offer any kind of warranty service?
What does the paperwork say?
Can you prove the first shop caused damage?

Did the first shop offer any kind of warranty service?
What does the paperwork say?
Can you prove the first shop caused damage?

The bill on the first shop states a "12 month or 12,000 mile warranty on repairs", which is why I took it back to them after I got it back the first time.
As for proof they caused the damage, the entire AC unit, about 6 different parts, were purchased and installed by the first shop. All the old parts were thrown away. According to the second shop, the new parts purchased by the first shop are in good shape, but the installation of all the new parts was terrible. I had the second shop type up a report validating that while the new parts were in the car, they had been installed so incorrectly that the second shop had to re-install all the new parts. The problem, is that in order to do all this, the entire dash had to be removed and disassembled so it took about 8 hours. They also noted in their summary that they noticed several parts around the AC Unit that had been broken or damaged and tried to be fixed with JB Weld. Both the owner and mechanic of the first shop verbally admitted to me (before I picked up the car) that some parts had been broken and they used JB Weld to try and fix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back