Auto Ins Liability coverage for dependent son

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenf

My 21 year old son is attending college full time in Florida and is financially dependent on me (I claim him as a dependent on my taxes). Up to this point, he has been included on my Florida auto insurance policy and is listed as a primary driver for one of my cars, which he uses at school for 9 months of the year in Gainesville, FL. If I remove him from my policy and he establishes his own policy, in his own name and for his own vehicle registered in his name, he only needs to carry Florida's minimum liability amounts- $10k/$20k. I carry $500k/$1M liability amounts on my policy. If my son were to have an accident and a law suit/legal action was involved for injury to another person, could the suing party legally, and potentially successfully, also come after me (with my higher liability amounts) since my son would still be my dependent, financially, even though he would no longer be listed on, or covered under, my policy?

If it is his car they can only go after him. He would need to claim Florida as his legal residence and register the car there.

My 21 year old son is attending college full time in Florida and is financially dependent on me (I claim him as a dependent on my taxes). Up to this point, he has been included on my Florida auto insurance policy and is listed as a primary driver for one of my cars, which he uses at school for 9 months of the year in Gainesville, FL. If I remove him from my policy and he establishes his own policy, in his own name and for his own vehicle registered in his name, he only needs to carry Florida's minimum liability amounts- $10k/$20k. I carry $500k/$1M liability amounts on my policy. If my son were to have an accident and a law suit/legal action was involved for injury to another person, could the suing party legally, and potentially successfully, also come after me (with my higher liability amounts) since my son would still be my dependent, financially, even though he would no longer be listed on, or covered under, my policy?
Thank you very much for the guidance, LWPAT. I assume this is the same whether it's a car or motorcycle? KENF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back