Auto dealership liablties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ty920

I took my car into the dealership where I bought it for its 1st oil change. The car has only 3700 miles and is just over a month old. After the service I got on the highway headed for work and then I noticed the oil pressure light came on. I called the dealer and they told me to bring the car in for inspection. When I got there, they inspected the car and it only had 1 pint of old oil in it. They came to the conclusion that they forgot to add any new oil and admitted that they are at fault. I was traveling at 65 mph on the highway with very little oil protection. They said that there are no immediate damages and tried to compensate me with free oil changes. I declined and requested that my engine be replaced due to the fact that they failed to properly change my engine oil, which forced my engine to operate under extreme conditions. The extent of the damage can not be determined unless it is thoroughly inspected by a qualified mechanic. They just drove it around and claim it was fine. I am currently in the process of discussing a fair compensation with the dealership for their negligence. Since the car is not even 2 months old, I wanted a new engine. Please let me know what legal rights I have in this situation and if they are liable for the engine.
I Live in Wisconsin.

Last edited:
I highly doubt that you have the right to demand a new engine, although I understand your frustration. If this was a dealer issue then you should have a right for it to be inspected by a qualified mechanic at the dealership and be issues some type of report.

What you should do is indepently find out how much damage could have been potentially occurred. It is possible that your car could run fine for short periods of time like what occurred. You brought in the car very soon after the warning light went on. You should find out exactly what that means. Then you'll be better informed as to what you can reasonably expect from them and in court. After all, you'll need some proof of potential damage in any court, in this instance possibly small claims. I doubt it will go that far. Take the first step and assess the potential damage in fact, not shooting from the hip. Bottom line... enjoy your new vehicle. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back