Auto Dealer Rip-off

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastms

Hello, and thanks in advance for addressing my question.

I took my Dodge Durango to a dealer because I was having problems. There was a knocking sound under the steering wheel and I thought the exhaust manifold was cracked. I didn't purchase the car from this Dodge dealer and the car is out of warranty.

They looked at the car and told me it needs new manifolds (2 of them) and the stabilizer link and bushings are lose and needed replaced. They also told me that the back brakes are "metal to metal" and it needs new pads and rotors. They also told me that it needs a transmission flush and differential oil replacement. Total cost (approximately) was $600 for the manifolds, $400 for the stabilizer links and bushings, $400 for the brakes and $400 for the fluid changes. I initially told them to just do the stabilizer links and bushings and that I would do the brakes and fluids myself and would try to find used manifolds.

They told me the work would be done on Tuesday. I had the car in the shop on Saturday. I called them back Saturday and told them not to do anything and that I would be up to pick up the car on Sunday or Monday. I did not sign a form or anything authorizing them to do anything.

I came by Monday morning to pick up the car and they told me they already did the stabilizer link and bushings, so I wrote them a check for approximately $400 and left. Got home and was talking to my local mechanic who told me that I was way overcharged. Links and bushings cost less than $100 (aftermarket) and take a half hour to install. Today (Tuesday), I stopped down the parts store and purchased rotors (I already had the pads, I regularly change them myself) and pulled the wheel to find that there was 1/2 inch of pad left on them and the rotors were fine.

Long story short (sorry for all the info), I stopped payment on the check and filed a complaint with the BBB. Before I did this (on Sunday), I called them to question them about the excessive charges on the links and bushings and why they suddenly did the work when I told them not to. I didn't get a cordial reply and they told me to "go ahead" and file the BBB complaint.

I received a call today (Tuesday) from the general manager who told me that writing the check was considered authorization (although I did not sign any authorizations before or after picking up the vehicle) and that he is going to take me to small claims court and sue me for the total amount of the bill plus costs.

I indicated that I would settle for $200 which is what I consider a fair value of the services, and I also told them that, since they lied to me about the brakes, I wanted to take my car to the local shop to make sure that they actually did the links and bushings work first. Once I am lied to, all credibility is lost.

Can they successfully sue me in small claims - for the work costs considering I didn't authorize the work (the manager claims that writing a check is authorization, even though I stopped payment) plus court and possibly legal costs?

Thanks again!

Signed, (I hate getting ripped off) Ed

Sounds like to me they have a good case against you.

Stand by for other opinions.

Sounds like to me they have a good case against you.

Stand by for other opinions.

seniorjudge - thank you for the quick reply.

In your opinion, could they sue me for court and/or legal costs also? If I don't have a strong case, I might just see them in small claims - but if it's going to cost me extra costs, I might just send them another check.

Thanks again!

They can sue you for anything.

I have no idea if they would win or lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back