Auto Accident in the Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaykb

Dear TheLaw.com,

I have a question about an auto accident that took place last May 2006, in the Netherlands.

My brother in law insisted my husband take his Porsche 911 out for a ride one evening and unfortunately my husband never made it home that evening as he hit a tree going 80 - 90 km per hour, and needless to say, totaled the car. We found out later that my brother in law had been storing the car thus did not have the proper insurance thus the only money he was able to receive from it was money for the parts. One month ago, he informed us that he expects us to pay him the total cost of the Porsche.

I should also inform you that my husband suffered serious injuries, he was in a coma for 3 days, and he doesn't remember the first 6 weeks, as he suffered brain damage and a severely broken arm, along with other injuries that seem relatively minor compared to the rest. We have been told by numerous Dr.'s it is a miracle he is alive and functioning so well. He is still recovering and has not yet been able to reintegrate into work.

My husband and his family are Dutch - so this would fall under Dutch law, although as it has been an added stressor and my husband is headed for a relapse I would like to get some advice on our rights, from the U.S., as I am a U.S. citizen. And again, as my husband didn't steal the car, and it wasn't his responsibility to have the correct insurance on his brother's car, I really feel that we have the legal standing on this.

Thank you for any insight you can give. I truly appreciate it.
Sincerely,
shaykb

You need to hire a Dutch lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back